Peugeot 405 electrics problem - please help

Hello -

I am looking for advice from people who might have run into a similar problem as I have with a Peugeot 405 L Reg.

I suspect that there is an electics problem, but wonder if there's a quicker fix. The reasons I suspect electrics are:

  • the power window on the passenger side is stuck and will not respond to either passenger or driver side window raise / lower switches
  • the power window on the driver side is very temperamental and will only repond with firm, direct pressure applied to the switch
  • the indicator signals click on and off rapidly (faster than they do normally).
  • the power locks sometimes cycle on and off (I assume, at least I can hear them clicking) when I lock the doors from the outside.

So, I have a present problem that the passenger window is caught in the down position and open to the elements. I have tried replacing the window switch without success.

So, before I embark on opening the door panel manually to force the window shut (does anyone know how to do this??) can anyone recommend another fix? Could it be a fuse issue? If so, which fuse(s) govern the power windows? What voltage should the fuse be? How can I tell whether a fuse is burnt and needs replacing?

Many thanks - this car is new to me and doesn't come with a manual. I would rather try to find a £5 solution than take it to the garage for a £500 solution!

Cheers, Chris

Reply to
Chris MacNeil

Although not as good as they used to be by far, a haynes manual for £15 ish will answer your questions. issue no 1559 for your car

Fuse 29 rated at 30 Amps is used for the front electric windows. The door lining can be removed by removing the interior lock tab (small screwdriver inserted carefully at the bottom) and various screws around the pocket and handle etc.

Dont force anything. There are careful ways to do car repairs. Force will end in more expense and broken, bent parts etc.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin