Peugeot 405GRx4 Estate - ECU question

I have a 405GRx4 estate 2.0 (petrol injection) with a dead speedo drive. As Peugeot have quoted 11 hours to fit a new drive cable (you essentially have to drop the whole front end of the car out!) I opted for a new "add on" speedo fron Greengage.

Unfortunately I am having great difficulty in getting a good pulse input to the speedo, leaving me with one dead speedo and one erratic speedo.

I don't know what part of the speedo drive is broken (whether it's just the mechanical drive to the speedo or the actual gear in the gearbox) - apparently it is a 3 part drive (whatever that is!)

So, what I'd like to find out (if possible) is whether or not the ECU will have an input from the speedometer drive, and if so, how do I find out which wire it is. (If it does, what does it use it for!)

The idea is that if I can find it I can feed that into the "new" speedometer as hopefully a cleaner signal.

If anyone is interested, the current method (to teh new speedometer) uses a reed switch mounted on the rear differential looking at 4 magnets glued to the input shaft to the differential. At around

30mph, the speedo just "sticks" and doesn't move again until 45+ is reached (it does something similar on the way back). The instrument has been back to Greengages once and given a clean bill of health. I've even run the signal (+12v pulse) back in a screened cable, but that has had little effect).

As ever, all help gratefully received.

Regards

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

I think you'll find the ECU doesn't take any information from the speedo drive. It is a purely mechanical system. I believe the three part drive refers to the (1) gear and adapter bolted in the final drive, (2) an extension drive and (3) the cable to the speedo unit.

Reply to
Nigel

Thanks - stuffed again!!

Cheers