Peugeot 406D high temperature

Can you help? My car normally runs at 70C, towing the caravan down the M5 I noticed that the temperature reached 90C,at times, should the radiator fan have cut in? Also my radiator has a small leak I think, although the water loss is small I think that i would like to replace it, what is the likely cost? Thanks.

Reply to
terb

Do you know the temp rating of your thermostat? I know when I got my car (a Saab 900), the thermostat it came with was a 92C, so thats the temp when the stat opens to cycle the fluid through the engine and radiator, but an

82C was available so I went with that. You may want to investigate going with an 82C to keep the temperatures down within the engine.
Reply to
Nathan Ketchel via CarKB.com

I am assuming you are talking about a 406 Turbo Diesel. Car temperature gauges are notoriously bad at providing the correct temperature reading. You can only be sure of the gauge reading if you check the water with a second temperature gauge. The thermostat opens at 83 C. The fans are controlled from an electrical system Both fans operate in series at 96 C (slow) Both fans operate in parallel at 118 C (Fast) To check the fans do both work, with the engine switched on remove the brown plug on the thermostat housing. After a few seconds both fans should come on at high speed. If your engine cools rapidly after reaching 90+ I would not worry. Water in a radiator is pressurised to lower its boiling point. If you have a leak in the cooling system it will affect the cooling system efficiency and lower the boiling point of the coolant.

Mike

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

Thanks for your advice Mike, big help

Reply to
terb

Terb I have a 2.1 406 Tdi and I had the same problem going to Cornwall last year, the temp gauge rose and fell an awful lot during the journey and I was quite worried at the time, but I was fine all the way there and back. Have not been out yet this year but I expect it will be the same so I no longer worried about it. So long as the temp does go back down there was no problem.

Barno

Reply to
Barno