Peugeot 407 service

Hi,

The "miles to next service" clock on my Peugeot 407 is going down somewhat faster than I'd expected (its new, and the first service is due at 20,000 miles - after driving 2,500 miles its saying I've got 13,500 miles to go!) - is this a problem anyone else has had? I'm taking it back to the dealer for them to look at next week, but wondered what to expect.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Isn't it a new version that calculates when you need the service based on your driving style and not just miles covered? I know the one in my 307 is like that but I think it is due an oil change now (around 3000 miles early according to the service indicator) judging by the noisy engine just after the first morning startup and no it isn't the oil level. After the first service or initial oil change it should settle down as there is less manufacturing detritus left inside the engine or left over from the running in process.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

I should be interested to know if this is true. My 407 has done 2,500 miles since June, I am retired so don't do many long journeys. It recently had its free six month service/check but the mileage to the next service has come down rapidly and is showing around 6,000 miles to go whereas I should expect the first service in 18 months or 17,500 miles. Robin

Reply to
Robin Bendall

Mines just over a year old, I bought it about two months back with 6k on the clock and the countdown is looking right for 20k.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Chant

I think you will find that the indicated service intervals vary according to the journey type, e.g. mainly long distance motorway trips will not wind the 'miles to next service' down half as quickly as lots of short journeys, especially if frequent cold starts are involved. That's the way it works on my 807 anyway.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Well, its done a fair few short and a number of medium length trips and it still looks like it is going for 20k. Mind you, given that the milage is low and 20k is a long way away in both time and miles I think it would be worth at least an oil change and once over at 10k, even though it is not scheduled. At the moment it still has the 'it must be a new car I can see through the oil look'. BTW, last car was a desiel.

Question: The power steering fluid is on the bottom of it's dip stick. What should I use for top ups? Never had to worry about this before, I was perfectly happy without power steering due to having large arms.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Chant

Yes, my 407, purchased new last march, looks as if its set for the

20,000. But I mostly use it for the 30 mile mostly motorway journey to work, and don't do many short trips.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Dixon

I think it's not the mileage that is the issue, but the type of driving you do. You have apparently only done short journeys - this does take its toll on an engine and is probably the rerason your service is shown as being due well before you expect it

Reply to
Peter

ISTR remember, years ago, (70's) it was automatic transmission fluid - not sure what it is now.

Reply to
Peter

Jon

I have a 407Sw and have had quite a few niggling problems. After 3000 miles my service counter showed 17,000 miles to go, then after another

500 miles showed 1400 miles to go and the next day it showed I was 50 miles OVERDUE. I reset it and over the next 3000 miles it did the same on two occasions. In addition I had problems with the engine (HDI). I have just had the BSI and ECU (two of the major electronics modules) changed by the dealer and the service counter now reads spot on. I would get the dealer to check it out.

Ian

J> Hi,

Reply to
ianjay1956

This is exactly what's happened to mine - just after the six monthly service the mileage to next service comes down very fast....

It does a large number of short journeys so maybe that's it.

Thanks for all this - nice to know I'm not the only one this is happening to!

Reply to
Jon

The "miles to next service" indicator also depends on how long it is to the next service (in days) as well as how far you've driven....d'oh! well, it provided the dealer with some amusement if nothing else - "you need to drive your car more, sir"

Reply to
Jon

I just looked at what seems like a good value Peugeot 407 2.0 HDI SE (=A39995 for a 54 plate with 25000 miles on).

The service spanner is showing - they claim it wasn't reset and was done at 20000 - but if it turns out the service wasn't done, is it likely to lead to problems if it gets it's first proper service at

25000?

J> The "miles to next service" indicator also depends on how long it is to t= he

Reply to
jafinlayson

The service spanner is showing - they claim it wasn't reset and was done at 20000 - but if it turns out the service wasn't done, is it likely to lead to problems if it gets it's first proper service at

25000?

J> The "miles to next service" indicator also depends on how long it is to > the

Walk away. There will be another one along soon being sold by people who don't take you for an idiot.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson
25000?

Nope - it takes much more than 5k without servicing, to cause issues.

That does seem a keen price ! Note that it's covered under the manufacturers warranty for 3 years (so well over a year left), so don't worry too much about any faults it has.

Reply to
Nom

But will the warranty be valid if it isn't serviced when it should be? Check in its service book to see if it has been done and who by.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

"R.N. Robinson" wrote in message news:dsvkab$a10$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

Possibly not - I don't know what the exact terms are. You'd need to speak to your local dealer I guess - there must surely be a little leeway with the servicing requirements ?

Reply to
Nom