Peugeot STOP light

Hi, Just bought a Peugeot 306 1.4, when I turn the ignition on the STOP light appears but this disappears when the engine starts, is this normal ?

Reply to
Ian

Completely normal. It is a bulb check.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

YES THIS IS NORMAL Chris from Addlestone Surrey

Reply to
Chris

Ahh thanks for that guys.

Reply to
Ian

Bloody hell, didn't you do a driving test?

When you learn to drive they teach you to put the key up to the point before ignition to check that all the lights work.

Reply to
Chimp

Which decade was that? ;)

I learnt in 1997 and never had anything like that mentioned.

David Hearn

I learnt all that just by sitting in my Dads car way before I was even a teenager.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Yeah, same here - that diagnostic lights are there for a reason, and worth checking to be okay etc - but certainly nothing was ever specified during my teaching that you should do that.

Of course, they've since now added the requirement to do some maintenance questions in the test I believe - maybe they've added such things into the teaching now.

David Hearn

When some of us learnt to drive there was only one warning light fitted on cars, a red one, and if that came on you knew that their was no current coming from the dynamo (yes dynamo). We didn't have any of these new fangled flashing indicators either. Posher cars had a little semaphore arm that popped out to point in the direction you were turning, on cheaper ones the drivers arm did it all out of the window.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

LOL, thats one of the first things I remember. The trafficators on my Dads Morris Traveller.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

We had trafficators on a Morris Eight. The right hand one stuck so to turn right you pushed the switch over, leaned back, thumped the door pillar and then executed the turn. The joys of motoring :o)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I passed my test in 2004, and it wasn't in the maintenance section then. You overestimate the standard required to pass this part of the test. (e.g., you don't have to open the bonnet of the car yourself. Someone else can do it for you if you prefer)

Sean

Reply to
Sean

I'm about to take mine, and believe me calling it a 'maintenence section' is *vastly* overstating it.

It's hardly a test. 2 questions, only one of which you only have to verbalise. The first one isn't exactly rocket science - 'show me how you would switch on the lights'. Yes, they're that basic.

All you need to know to pass it is how to check the various fluid levels and where a couple of buttons are.

An no, I wouldn't have known the answer to the OP's question either - it's probably in the manual though.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Hoyle

"Tony Hoyle" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Now I know why I see cars (other than Volvos) with their lights on in broad daylight.

There's no "show me how you switch OFF the [fog] lights?" question.

-- sA

Reply to
southpawArcher

Nope.. :P

All the questions are listed here:

Even if you get both questions wrong it's only a minor fault - so it's quite possible to pass not knowing how to open the bonnet...

Tony

Reply to
Tony Hoyle

i have a problem with my 306L petrol estate with the stop, light coming on. the car blew the head gasket a few weeks ago, it was fixed by a peugeot mechanic, he also replaced the timing belt. the stop light comes on, its not overheating, theres oil and water in it. any ideas anyone

-- toneso

View this thread:

Send from

toneso

-- toneso

View this thread:

Send from

toneso

When the Stop light on my 406 came on I topped up the brake fluid. Fine after that.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

What are you on about here? when I passed my test in 1977 the 'most important dash lights' were OIL, BATTERY and HANDBRAKE I would think it not much different this day and age - how on earth can you expect the driving instructors to know about all the lights that appear on modern cars.

Fluke

Reply to
fluke

maintenance