Peugot 406 Engine Temp Too High

Help! I recently bought a 1999 Peugot 406 3.0 V6 with 82,000 miles on the clock. After sarting the engine and driving about 10 miles, the Stop light on the centre console comes on, the screen reads Engine Temp Too High and the fan comes on at maximum. Both temperature guages read normal. The Peugeot dealer has checked it with their diagnostic tools and tell me there is nothing wrong. My local garage is also unable to identify the problem. Since buying the car, the computer has been reset, I have had a new radiator and a new temperature sensor cluster fitted as well as a new timing belt. I would be most grateful for any ideas as I am worried that by just ignoring the message may be doing damage for which I will pay dearly for in the future.

Reply to
softdev

If you recently bought it, then take it back.....

Or was it a private sale.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Sorry, by recently I meant several months ago. The guarantee period is long since over.

Reply to
softdev

If purchased in the UK you have an automatic 1 year guarantee anyway, no matter what the dealer says.

If he refuses to sort it, take him to small claims.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Stolen from another forum.....

Today I took the family to my brother inlaws in Mountain Lakes NJ (about 85

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Thanks for that, I'll have a check. However, the problem isn't that it is overheating, more that it's telling me it's overheating. I'll see where I stand about the guarantee, but I always thought it was 3 months and then you had to pay.

Reply to
softdev

Maybe in some states of America........ not in sunny england unless it was sold as seen...

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Reply to
John Hollinshead

We had this problem early on - turned out to be a temperature sensor problem and the normal diagnostics seemed to pick it up without any difficulty.

A search under temperature in this group would turn up a mass of information on this problem - don't limit it to 406.

Reply to
ken kerrison

You say the fan comes on at full speed. On Peugeots fitted with two fans they should both come on at the same either at slow speed or high speed. If you only have one fan working the cause of this is your problem.

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

Cheers, I'll check this out.

Reply to
softdev

This looks like your problem please see web site

Mike

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

Thanks, a faulty fan sounds like the problem as it happens with or without the aircon on. I'll have a check and let you know.

Reply to
softdev