Phone installation / problem with Satnav

Having installed a Phone kit in my 406 "03" the Satnav does not operate, on screen display says "CD ROM Unreadable" or "CD Missing". on disconecting the phone kit the display still shows the same errors Only when i disconnect the battery for resetting does the satnav return to normal operations and firstly show " Satnav system initializing." Hence the kit is now disconnected, Any ideas would be much appreciated????????????

Reply to
gollycrush

Hi, I am not sure if the following will be of interest but I doubt if the problem has anything to do with your phone kit. I have a 2003 406 with 104,

000 miles but without a phone. To date I am on my 3rd Satnav unit and they have all displayed the error messages that you describe. All 3 units worked ok for about 12 months then the messages start and become more frequent until the unit dies. The current unit is in its early stages of failure.

Cleaning the cd and the laser helps for a time but the problem always returns also letting the unit initialise before starting the engine helps. My local "stealership" replaced the 1st unit in warranty but now wants £750 to replace it again, I declined his "offer".

In my opinion this is an intermittent mechanical problem within the cd drive.

Dave G

gollycrush wrote:

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

Thanks for your reply and information. Since posting my problem the unit itself has indeed become more frequent in displaying the error messages. initialising displays everytime now with the ignition activated and most times now does not progress from there. when it does i cant change the input destination and the display shows a spinning disc. Obviously as you suggest with having three units there must be a common fault with the units. are the units repairable do you know????????at the cost you mention for replacement im hoping so. regds Neil

Reply to
gollycrush

Hi, This is exactly what happens to them. I have had no luck in finding a repairer. The same thing happened to friend of mine and he got one from a breaker for £75. It is very easy to change just needs a Torx TX30 screwdriver which are available at Halfords. I think the dealer price is a rip off, I could buy the best Tom Tom for half that.

Regards

Dave

gollycrush wrote:

Reply to