please help 306 xld with crossed wire

Usual story... my 306 xld Mreg 120000ish on clock was working fine, until a couple of days ago it went haywire, first thing to go was the clock,it kept reseting itself, as did the radio, i banged the dash and pressed every button in sight and noticed that the rear heated window button turned the clock and radio off, next day or so the central locking intermittently started to react in a "lazy way" as if the battery had low power, a few days after when i turned the key the starter motor didnt do its thing(no power to it) , so once again i hit the dash and pressed some buttons and when i pressed the rear heated window button the clock came on and hey presto the car started. now things have gone really downhill, i have no central locking, radio ,clock, horn, starter motor, or courtesy lights (however, the interior light works!?).

Ive checked all the fuses, relaysand changed the battery, also got the car to start by touching a piece of wire from the battery to the starter motor with the key in the second position . and since rigged up a temporary switch to start it, but now Im lost.

I dont think its the imobilser as the fuel cut off solonoid opens to allow the car to run, i would have expected that to stay shut but i may be wrong. Why would so many seemingly unconnected electrical items go wrong at the same time???

Please any suggestions no matter how simple or complex would be appreciated very much,

Reply to
karl garlick via CarKB.com

Snipped.

From the varied symptoms I would suggest a loose earth somewhere, probably in the vicinity of the dash but where exactly is another matter. Check the connections to the fusebox at a first guess.

Reply to
Malc

Well its sods law isn't it!!! You spend all day jacking the car up, pulling off panels, scraping the skin off your knuckles, cleaning every earth and connector in sight and still no progress, then my old man has a look-20mins later he's fixed it!

Apparently, although I had done a visual check on each fuse and none had blown, some had no power going into them, namely No 15(central locking unit, remote control, courtesy light timer, pulse window winder unit.) and No 25 (radio memory, clock, low engine speed carb, cooling relay energised circuit, air conditioning.) So using a bit of wire, he fed power off the cigar lighter into the back of fuse No 25 and instantly the clock and radio turned on, then did the same to fuse No 15 and the interior light came on (as did the clock and radio, must use the same feed further down the line), tried the ignition that was ok and so was the central locking, so I must have a loose or broken positive/live wire somewhere in the circuit, but as another temporary fix we have bridged the live feed from fuse No 16(cigar lighter + permanent feed) to Fuse No 15.

I just hope that this will last, and the situation doesn't get worse.

Reply to
karl garlick via CarKB.com

Oh yeh thanx for the sugestion Malc, you practicly hit the nail on the head.

Reply to
karl garlick via CarKB.com

wiring at ns behind the bumper has corroded this is where the feed to the fuse box come through it was part of a recall a few years ago but quite a few got missed out

Reply to
Mindwipe