Poor Cold Start on 106 Diesel 1.5

Hi,

Have a 'P' reg 106 Diesel 1.5. Head gasket blew recently and had head skimmed and refitted. Now have a problem starting when cold. Glow plugs appear to work, but requires about 1 minute of cranking plus some throttle to fire up. When running prior to reaching operating temp engine will cut out on idle. When at normal running temperature she seems fine, and pulls well. A real pain -:(

Have noticed there is a "sensor" on the block which has a control cable to the injector pump - is this a kind of "cold running control" and could there be a failure here??

Any help would be really helpful.

Rollscanardly

Reply to
rollscanardly

Firstly, are you sure the valve clearances are correct? If they are too tight, you will get starting problems. the item you mention is a device to speed up the tickover when the engine is cold. In itelf, it is unlikely to prevent starting.

Reply to
Brian

Brian,

Thanks for that - will check that out tomorrow - I guess the inlet valve clearances are the culprits. Seems logical that after the head was skimmed the guy did not check the valve clearances/change shims.

Rollscanardly

Reply to
rollscanardly

Well, skimming a head with an OHC will not in itself alter the clearances, but these engines do seem to close those gaps, had a similar problem on my

1.5D which was cured this way. It is perhaps more likely that the shims were mixed up on reassembly.
Reply to
Brian

Dont sound good a Brian.

Reply to
Chris

Brian,

Yes, soon as I hit the "Post Message Button" I realised my mind was still on a pushrod engine mindset! Will keep you posted with results.

Rollscanardly

Brian wrote:

Reply to
rollscanardly

Yhe one good thing about this engine is that the shims are on the top of the valve caps, so it is possible to change them without removing the camshaft. You just need a tool to compress the valve spring.

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
rollscanardly