Priming diesel 205D

Hi chaps, Am having a problem pursuading fuel to come through the pipework so I can start my 205D which has lain neglected for a few months. It was drained of diesel, so the first thing I did was put a gallon of diesel in the tank using a gallon fuel container. Charged up the battery and the low fuel light flickered, then went off when I went into preheat mode. Enough fuel I thought. I left the ignition on to keep the solenoid energised, and started squidging the primer bulb. It will not firm up, which means it's not drawing fuel up, but when I opened the water drain on the filter, diesel pours out. Tried to fire it up, but it will not catch. It gives a cough or two with a puff of smoke out the exhaust, but that's it. Is there a more robust priming I can do to get the bugger to fire and keep firing?

Reply to
Tunku

I don't know how practical it is on your car, but 30+ years ago when I drove diesel vans for the post office we all carried a small spanner in our pocket for just such occasions. We would run the starter and slacken the first injector pipe until fuel started to come out at which point you tighten it again. Repeat this for each pipe. After doing them all, the engine should start, in fact with a warm engine it used to start as you tightened the last pipe.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in news:g8qdnS1 snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Now that sounds like a plan, lets air out, and lets the pump do it's thing. I will try that at first light. Cheers, Keith.

Reply to
Tunku

That method is still as valid today as it was then. Priming with the bulb will only prime the low perssure side, you have to do more to get air out of the high pressure parts. Air compresses too easily, so will not force the injector nozzles open.

Reply to
Brian