Pulling to one side on acceleration

My 306 is pulling quite badly to the left on acceleration and snaps back straight when easing off. I had this on an old Renault 5 and it turned out to be a track-rod end, which both feel fine on the 306. I've also got a knocking when going over bumps somewhere in the front off-side suspension. Could these two be linked? Anyone got any other ideas?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Flip

Flip schrieb:

I had similar problem with bumps. It was the balljoints on the front axle on my car.

What is a track rod? The bar connecting both front-wheels for the steering (I'm german...)?

Tobi

Reply to
Tobias Meyer

Could be the ball joint in one of the lower suspension arms (probably the off-side if that's making the noise), which if its anything like a 205 means a replacement of the whole arm. Another possibitly (based on 205 GTi assumptions) is a drop link which connects between the end of the anti-roll bar and the suspension strut. I would favour the first possibility most though, and its not too difficult a job to sort out.

Reply to
Davemar

Tobi, yeah, the track rod is the steering component that you suspected.

In addition, Ive just noticed that I can induce the knocking by rolling backwards and stabbing the brake on. This means that the brake pads act like a pivot, essentially trying to extend the suspension.

If this principal of extending the suspension is true, the suspension is in compression under forward braking. So why dont manufacturers put calipers on the back side of the disk to reduce nose-diving on hard braking. Just a thought.

Phil

Reply to
Flip

On the 306 the ball joint is seperate from the bottom arm, held in place by

3 bolts, which is a far more sensible system than that used on the 205. Drop links are a suspect, but again are an easy and relatively cheap fix. If you try replacing them and it doesn't cure your problem, at least you can rest easy in the knowledge that they would have gone at some point :-)

Another possibility is the anti-roll bar bushes. These are cheap to buy, and I'd actually suggest getting them from Peugeot, to make sure you get the correct ones. They should cost a couple of pounds, but they are an absolute arse to fit, or at least the ones I did were.

Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Flip schrieb:

compression under forward braking. So why dont manufacturers put calipers on the back side of the disk to reduce nose-diving on hard braking. Just a thought.

The wheels rotate around the axel, and the brake only stops this rotating action. So if it feels like the wheel is rotating around the brake calipers then, maybe you have a problem with your wheels bearing?

Tobi

Reply to
Tobias Meyer

Many thanks eveyone, looks like Ive got a bit of fiddling around to do. Should be a bit easier when I get a new socket set over Xmas.

Cheers, Phil

Reply to
Flip

I would suggest swapping front wheels round- I had a 406 do that, and it turned out to be one of the alloys slightly mismatching- one had been replaced after a potholing incident. Once it was known what the problem was, putting both fronts on the back sorted it out. Worth a check- also tyres being still largely handmade causes variability- I once had a tyre which was bigger on the inside than outside wall. It wore unevenly and the wheel would fall over if stood up. Than can cause a pull also.

Reply to
Ian McLeish