Radius Arm- 106XRD

Hi,

I have just had my K reg Peugeot 106XRD in to have the wheel bearings checked/ replaced. The garage found that the rear wheel radius arm has gone and this will cost £450- £500 to replace. The car is due for an MOT at the end of July and the garage said it is safe to drive until then. When the MOT is done the garage has also recommended that the timing belt is done as I have no history of when this was last looked at. This will cost an additional £200-£300. They said this is more expensive as they do a full replacement of bearings etc (sorry, not sure on the details!).

Assuming (!) there is nothing else that needs doing for the MOT pass then I will be paying about £700 and I?m beginning to wonder if it is worth it. The only thing that is making me think I should have the work done and stick with the car is that I use it daily (70 miles) and it is cheap to run.

So, two questions really: is it possible to get the work done cheaper? Or should I cut my losses and get rid of the damn thing!

Thanks, Morag

Reply to
MG22

timing belt fitted at a small garage is about 150 quid rear axle bearing if gone isnt worth it although i seem to remember a link somewhere on here for recon axles it may be worth ringing round some scrappies for a rear axle or on the other hand you could just sell it and buy a slightly newer one m to n reg should cost about 500 quid

Reply to
mindwipe

"MG22" wrote: > Hi, > > I have just had my K reg Peugeot 106XRD in to have the wheel > bearings > checked/ replaced. The garage found that the rear wheel radius > arm has > gone and this will cost £450- £500 to replace. The car is due > for an MOT > at the end of July and the garage said it is safe to drive > until then. > When the MOT is done the garage has also recommended that the > timing belt > is done as I have no history of when this was last looked at. > This will > cost an additional £200-£300. They said this is more expensive > as they do > a full replacement of bearings etc (sorry, not sure on the > details!). > > Assuming (!) there is nothing else that needs doing for the > MOT pass then > I will be paying about £700 and I?m beginning to wonder if it > is worth it. > The only thing that is making me think I should have the work > done and > stick with the car is that I use it daily (70 miles) and it is > cheap to > run. > > So, two questions really: is it possible to get the work done > cheaper? Or > should I cut my losses and get rid of the damn thing! > > Thanks, > Morag

If you like the car it?s always worth fixing it, but I agree with mindwipe that you should be able to get it done cheaper than that. Also getting an entire new rear suspension assembly is cheaper and easier than replacing individual parts (if it?s similar to the 205 anyway).

Also it?s far easier to replace the rear axle/suspension assembly than Haynes and garages lead you to believe, it?s simple but still takes a few hours.

Remember that if you replace it you can never be too sure whats wrong with the new car :D

Reply to
Streltsky