Re: 307 fire hazzard on Watchdog

About 6 weeks ago my 307 (2001) just stopped cut out and wouldn't start

> again there was messages on the dash about emergency stopping or something. > I hadn't the chance to read it before the whole car died. > Everything went off as if the battery had been disconnected. When I opened > the bonnet there was a bad smell of burning and the main battery lead to the > starter motor was very hot. > I didn't hear it running in the short time I had travelled about 3/4 of a > mile and I am quiet observant to engineering problems whilst driving, being > an engineer. > When I bought the car six months prior to this they told me that the car was > due for a recall on the steering lock and they would inform me when the part > had come in which I was waiting for them to phone me. > Its bad press deservedly for Peugeot.

So what had happened? was the starter spinning without throwing in the bendix, or what was causing the power drain? I missed the Watchdog show, in fact I always do.

rgds jim.

Reply to
djimbo

Many, many years ago my father had a Starter Motor that had failed to disengage from the engine. The normal reving of the engine caused the Starter Motor to excessively over-rev & start stripping out all of its windings.

Whilst this wasn't the "Pug" situation, I would have assumed that this would have led to some serious Electrical shorts which are NOT protected by any fuse - hence a possible fire-situation!

Regards, John

Reply to
John J. Burness

Ah, but Carl thinks we all have to be idiots to not hear the Starter Motor.

Plus apparently believes that hearing impaired people would not drive 307's either. Pug Rules - if you die then it's your own stupidity!!

I cannot believe that anyone thinking before posting could possible come up with such a bizarre comment.

Maybe Carl should chat to "pete newman"

Whoosh

Reply to
whoosh

Hello,

Yup, but starter's hi-power side (by opposition to the control side) is never protected, whatever brand of car it is. Protecting a 120+A circuitry is a kind of a nightmare...

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

I agree entirely. I was not the point that I was trying to express. Just highlighting the "between the lines" view expressed by the writer I quoted who said that it was all nonsense and drivers Should Hear that there was a problem.

Whoosh [ the sound my 307 makes when going past the lesser hatches]

Reply to
whoosh