Re: 307 ODOMETER SOFTWARE UPGRADE

OK, a bit of an update;

I went to the garage yesterday, on the pretence of collecting something from my car. This is what I was told:

"The software update is done over the internet, and if the connection is lost, then the BSI is wiped." I asked if it happened quite often and was told "Yes, fairly frequently." So why isn't a stock of BSIs held? "They are made for individual vehicles, and a BSI can't just be taken off the shelf, it has to be ordered for my specific vehicle." I must have the only 1.6SE Auto out there; lucky me.

Yes, they had both keys and the card, although they did say they could manage without the card.

I've got a 307 (basic model) as a coutesy car.

MRGRUMPY.

Exactly the same problem. > > The apparent shortage of replacement BSI's maybe reflects a run on them due > to failed upgrades..... > > In the case of a misapplied recall procedure involving damage to a > customer's vehicle, who is legally responsible? The dealership are acting on > behalf of Peugeot, not the customer, and any normal servicing terms and > exclusions would not apply. > > May I ask what compensation has been offered for inconvenience and loss of > use of your vehicle? > > > On 31 Mar 2004 03:49:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Grumpy) wrote: > > > > >I took my 307 in for its odometer upgrade, and ws told the job would > > >take about an hour. They phoned me back later and said the car was > > >undrivable due to needing a new BSI - could take weeks to arrive. > > > > > >Anyone else had the same problem? Anyone know why the BSI would fail > > >because of a software upgrade? > > > > > >MRGRUMPY. > > The only problems that happen is if the mechanic doesn't follow the > > correct procedure for upgrading the BSI. It is a specific procedure > > and if it is not followed exactly it wipes the BSI. There is only the > > one chance. Did you supply ALL the keys and the security card? Without > > them it is impossible to carry out the recall.
Reply to
Grumpy

My 307 is a diesel and has been in for the software upgrade. My prob is the servicing spanner indicator stayed on with a minus mileage I reset the service spanner by the hand book method but it now reads 18500 or so miles. This being the countdown for a petrol instead of a diesel which is 12000 miles. Still to contact dealer for a fix on this.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Evans

It would be interesting to establish exactly how 'frequently' frequently is and how many customers have been affected in this way. As everybody probably knows Watchdog recently did a feature on 307 odometer problems, and might be interested in a follow up.....

There does seem to be a very basic design issue here.

If a software download or upgrade fails on your computer, you don't have to chuck it away and go out and buy a new one, you simply restore back to the previous position, or at the very, very worst rebuild your system from the original disks and backup data. Why should it be different for embedded electronics and software?

Reply to
Gunslinger

So lets all contact Watchdog and maybe they'll do a follow-up! It won't help me but if it prevents anyone elses car being based on the integrity of the internet!??

MRGRUMPY.

Reply to
Grumpy

As far as I know, if it is the fault of the technician that the BSI is wiped, then it is down to the garage to supply a courtesy car. The BSI is covered under the warranty though. This must happen quite a bit though, because it is extremely difficult to get BSIs now.

Reply to
Nigel

That is rubbish. The download IS done from the internet, but only to the Diag 2000 machine. Then the connection is closed, and the car is downloaded from the Diag 2000. So if the internet went down (which hasn't happened with my place at all) then the car is not affected. BSIs are NOT made for individual vehicles. That would be impossible. Each level of car has a different BSI. I think there are actually 6 different BSIs available Our garage has done many of these recalls, and there have been only two failures, both early on in the campaign, and both because the wrong security code was entered. What we do is check the security code on the card through the Diag, and if it is not recognised, then we phone Peugeot. They will give us the code that is on their records. We try that and if it STILL isn't recognised, then we go no further until we get in touch with Peugeot. All this trouble, I think, is because of lack of information early on in the campaign from Peugeot about the correct way of doing the download. We now have that, and we have had no further trouble.

Reply to
Nigel

This is because the BSI hasn't been configured properly after the download. The garage is at fault there and should fix it quite easily.

Reply to
Nigel

Thanks for the info in this and your other posts.

It is of course little consolation to be know exactly whose 'fault' it was, what affected customers want is of course to get their vehicles back and the apparent shortage of replacement BSI's seems to suggest it is a rather more common issue than Peugeot would perhaps like people to be aware of.

Not on the scale of the original odometer fiasco of course, but something prospective customers might like to be aware of.

Rectifications under recall are of course the responsibility of the manufacturer/importer, dealers are their agents in carrying this out. It is absolutely the responsibility of Peugeot to ensure that the people they entrust this work to have the training and the necessary information to do the job correctly, and the backup (and supplies) to put things right if there is a problem. What you have said in your other posts confirms the impression that this was not the case.

As a Peugeot user of some 15 years, initially as a company car user, I must say that my confidence is somewhat eroded by this whole sorry episode.

Reply to
Gunslinger

Phoned garage and is book in for a fix next Tue. BTW my car is an 2.0 Hdi Xsi imported from Cyprus and noticed this mileage fault a week after I bought the car in October. I was told Peugeot was working on a fix and they would let me know when it was available. If it wasn't for Watchdog I would still be waiting because my dealer told me my car was not on the list for the recall and sent me packing with the address for Peugeot and to sort it out myself. So much for me informing them of the fault last October. This should be covered under warranty, never mind the recall. According to the recall hotline, customers with the fault are not getting their mileage returned to what it should read. I believe high mileage users have a valid claim. Not worth my while since the difference is only 1300 miles.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Evans

Had my Odometer fixed yesterday afternoon. Took around an hour, no apparent hickups and all seems OK.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick (UK)

Hello,

'Cause you'd expect an imported car to be on the list ?

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Thanks for the info, I'll get on to them after Easter. Can I ask how you came by this info? Do you work for a Peugeot dealer?

Mr Grumpy

Reply to
Grumpy

Yes, but don't ask which one. I've been told that information is supposed to be "only for dealer's eyes". I have to be a bit careful what I write, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Nigel

Hello,

That's supposed to be a kind of "professionnal secret" I assume. Oh, OK, I guess it isn't as important as the secret imposed in R&D offices :-)

Regards, G.T (doesn't work for Peugeot, stacks toastbread crates all night long) snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:11:23 +0200, a particular chimpanzee named "G.T" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Yes, but you're not supposed to tell us (or the health inspector) what goes into the bread :-)

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Hello,

That's happy, as I even don't know it myself. All I know it it's packed, then put into the crate I stack some seconds later. Mind you I've done studies which allows me to be an electronics engineer (with all depending diplomas, of course), so you'll easily understand I really don't care how that bread is done :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Mr G

Any news of your car?