Re: 307SW climate control & fan

Cheers for that. Have done the test with both smoke and some thing paper. The one in the dash is sucking in air. However the one in the ceiling by the sunglasses holder doesn't seem to be doing anything. Has anyone got Climate Control that they can try this on and let me know whether the ceiling one has got a fan in it too. I thought maybe it didn't need it with heat rising etc, or maybe that is the cause of my problem.

Reply to
HDIdriver

regarding my initial problem report at the top of the thread "Climate control decides I'm too hot., suddenly blasts cold air Just spoke to a new collegue at work, only had his 307 (not SW) about a month now, I said "how do you find the Air Con" Without prompting His reply "Very odd, keeps blowing out cold air at random" Only a month old ! - design fault or common failure ?

Mines going in to dealer on Wednesday, see if they can come up with an explanation

Will do the smoke test tonight

Reply to
only_me

Just done the 'smoke' test - no sign of any air movment into the 3 slots on the dash, or slots near intereior lights (no sunglass case) although those slots look a bit more like ultrasonic sensor positions for alarm etc ?

Reply to
only_me

Cheers for that. It is subtle, but you can definitly see the smoke being sucked in from the dash on mine. Maybe that is your problem. Let me know what they say about the slats at the top too (I believe your car is booked in today) They may not be for the Climate Control but they definitly aren't for the alarm as I have a factory fitted alarm on mine and the sensors are on the door pillars

Reply to
HDIdriver

Just done a slightly more scientific test which does seem to confirm the failure of the 'smoke' test

Got hold of a nice sensitive fluke digital temperature meter, fixed it to passenger seat out of direct draught of vents. Set off this morning set AC to auto 22 deg (external temp 5), after about

15~20 mins meter showed 22, (it is a diesel) After about 40 mins meter showed 24.5 Did a simulated petrol stop, igniton off, couple of door openings. Restarted journey, meter showed 24, after about 1 minute, the fan started speeding up and the cold air started, within a couple of minutes the meter was reaidng 17 with still no sign of the AC switching the cold air off.

This does seem to match exactly what you would expect if the sensor or fan are duff, there is clearly no feedback loop for the system at the moment.

Lets see if they can fix it tomorrow.

Reply to
only_me

As a final test try using a small piece of thin paper (a postage stamp size bit of tissue paper will do the job). Close your vents and set the fan to off, and start the engine. If you hold this over the slats you should definitly see it being sucked in. I found this a little easier to judge than smoke. If it doesn't move your fan is definitly duff, and should be fairly easy to fix. I look forward to hearing your feedback tomorrow, though it sounds like a new fan/sensor is required. As I said, if you could find out whether the roof slats are also a sensor that would be much appreciated.

Reply to
HDIdriver

Well its been in to the dealer, they have diagnosed (?) a faulty interior sensor. BUT they don't have the parts - Grrrr

Reply to
only_me

Hi, From my experience you should be thankful they even diagnosed the problem!! At least it should be easy to fix once they get the part.

Reply to
HDIdriver

Hi, Did they fit the new part yet? Any better?

Reply to
HDIdriver

Just picked it up, had a new interior temp probe fitted (p/n 6445HT) it now passes the 'tissue paper' test via the slats on the dash. I think it'll be a couple days yet before I know for sure its actually right.

(Sorry forgot to ask about roof slats)

Reply to
only_me

OK I think I can now declare it fixed.

The climate control fan is now much more subdued, and I have control of the cabin temp again. Still find the air flow noise from the Climate control a bit whistlely at certain (medium) fan speeds, but I have a hightend sense of awareness to that at the moment. (yes I know its not a rolls royce, but the 406 was better)

I think this was duff from new (6 monhs old now), which is what lead me to think it was a design issue type of thing.

Also worrying (as I mentioned before) is that another 307 delivered recently has exact same fault from new !. Of course 2 doesn't make it an epideminc, but 2 in the same company out of a fleet(?) of 3 307s, 6 months apart ?

Reply to
only_me

Glad you got it sorted. Mine obviously doesn't have exactly the same problem but I am still going to get it looked at. Just out of interest does it ever decide that the temperature is just right and turn the fan off completely? Mine seems to blow on medium at the very least, never really low or off.

Reply to
HDIdriver

Off, never, v.low eventually, sometimes.

monitored it on journey home last night (50 mins) (Auto:req:21deg out:81deg). Fan never dropped below 2 circles setting.

This morning to work (35mins) (Auto:req:21deg out 9deg) Fan did just drop to 1.5 circles setting after about 25 mins Then just at end of journey checked again and had dropped to 1 circle

Certainly seems to spend most time on 2 circles, which on mine gives an annoying whistle to the airflow, which is noticable at up to 35-40mph on motor way (in a diesel !) .

Hitting the - fan button once at that point makes the fan run at just the right speed (1.5 circles) - noise wise and seems to able to maintain temp ok too (maybe not in summer?) But of course it no longer on Auto and you have to set that every time you get in !

I'm sure they spent a fortune reducing diesel engine noise but left the AC like this.

Anyone know if the default fan speed setting is one of the things which can be changed in the computer ? - no point asking the dealer.

note: Fan setting I'm reading/quoting as follows, Press - Fan button once, read number of circles and add 1 unit

Reply to
only_me

Sounds about the same as mine. It definitly seems to be working overtime. And the fan is a lot noisier than my diesel engine too. At least with the fan on you can't hear so many rattles I suppose.

Reply to
HDIdriver