Re: 405 diesel blowing smoke

try some injector cleaner first and see if any improvement

Can anyone suggest the most likely cause for the excessive exhaust smoke my > 405 SRDT (1995 model, 2.1l engine) blows. > > It's most evident on starting and is visible in the rear view mirror above > 3000rpm. By 4000rpm it's starting to look like the batmobile. > > I've had the glow plugs replaced recently but it seems to chug a bit after > starting, especially if cold. Mornings are close to 0 deg. C here at the > moment. Starting can be difficult. > > I also had the head gasket replaced at the last service. > Its performance and economy don't seem to have altered at all. I get 45mpg > reliably--1100km between fills. I've always had it regularly serviced. > > Could it be the injectors? I've heard they eventually need cleaning, and > this has never been done to this car. I've owned it since new, it's now > done 206,500 km. > > Looking forward to any wisdom coming my way. > > Bryn Parry > Tasmania > >
Reply to
SimonDS

Yuting Wan

When was the air filter last changed? A dirty air filter can make the engine run rich and cause black smoke.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun