Re: 405 newbie - simple questions

>> I am now the proud owner of 2 405's - one legal one not so legal(!) > >What models are they? What engines in them?

One is a GL 1500, the other is a gtx 1900i

>> Starting at the bottom and working my way up, the frst thing I notice >> is that the wheels are different! No, not square, but different size >> tyres one is - 165/70R14 the other 195/60R15. The obvious questions >> are: >> >> Which is best? > >It sounds like you have alloy wheels on one of the cars and steel wheels on >the other. Basically, the 195/60R15's are better, but you need to make sure >you can put them on the other 405 - you *should* be able to, but if the >wheel offsets are different on the two cars, you might experience >accelerated wear on your wheel bearings and it can also adversely affect the >handling. Take a front wheel off both cars and compare them. If the the >driveshafts/wheel hubs/brake discs all look the same dimensionally, then >it's likely you'll be OK. >

Wheel offsets?? They look like they'll fit - I have since noticed that the alloys have a locking nut which off cours I cant unlock!!

> What do the number mean? > >195/60R15

Thanks

>Chris. >
Reply to
Dave Rees

As for the locking wheel nuts if you haven't got the key try first looking through the boot and the door compartments then the glove box if still no joy you could do as I did and resort to brute force with a hammer and cold chisel that worked.

Reply to
Big Mc