Re: 406 steering.

I have just had some interesting experience with steering and tyres on a 2 litre petrol; 406 Executive model.

I have two Good Year tyres which are akin to formula one tyres, but two (not four) grooves plus, two Michelin tyres.

I had a strong pull to the right so took it into a tyre dealer who spotted that I had one Good Year and one Michelin on the front. He swapped them over (side to side) at my request and believe it or not the car then pulled to the left!

My next move was to put both the Good Years on the front. The car still pulled to the left but also now had a sort of disconcerting wobble to it.

Fed up with that, I put the Michelins on the front and the Good Years on the rear and BINGO no pulling either way and no wobble either.

In future I shall stick to Michelins and scrap the Good Years.

Reply to
Robin Bendall

Thats very interesting! its starnge to thing that two different kinds of tyres would behave that way. If i change tyres i allways change an axle pair i.e. two rears, or two fronts and i'm on good terms with the local tyre fitters up my way (except kwik fit who i wouldnt go near to even within a miles distance away - not unless i wnted to die in my car!!!), and i usually ask them the balance them and put the new ones on the front and the others to the back, that way every now and then my tyres get even wear by running on a different axle. I do understand that to do it properly i should really take the front drivers side and take it to the opposite side at the rear, and vice versa but i do it this way and have no problems with it.

Reply to
M. H. Greaves