Re: Any troubles (even minor) with 406 Coupe 3.0?

Hi,

> > I would like to hear some opinions about > the Peugeot 406 Coupe 3.0. > > TIA > Joachim Engel > > >
Reply to
Mindwipe :-)

In message , "Mindwipe :-)" wrote

FWIW - this does not seem to be uncommon with the 406 range in general and the 406 V6 saloons and coupes in particular.

My V6 saloon also developed this problem which was caused by warped front disks. Provided the car has done less than 11,500 miles *AND* the disk run out is *MORE* than 0.3mm Peugeot UK will generally either replace the discs or have them skimmed. If the car is older, or the runout is less than 0.3mm you're stuffed unless you argue with Peugeot :-(

Reply to
Derek Tree

no other problems? Seem to be a perfect car?

Greetings Joachim Engel

Reply to
Joachim Engel

In message , Joachim Engel wrote

There's no such animal! :-)

Having said that I do think the V6 is any worse than any other equivalent exec saloon and may well be better than many. The entire 406 range scored 97% in Which? Magazine's recent round-up of new car reliability, higher, in fact, than some Merc's and BMW's.

OTOH... There are an awful *LOT* of electric and electronic gizmos built into this car which have the potential to malfunction or fail completely over time. My car's only done 12,000 miles so it's far too early to say how reliable these components and systems are.

If I were to stick my neck out and touch wood I'd say the 406 V6 coupes and saloons are probably above average for reliability.

Reply to
Derek Tree

Hi Derek,

sounds good! ;-)

Makes me wonder. I'm looking for a used car, and all I have tested until now had some problems.

That true. I would be more pleased with a robust and simple construction.

I would like to hear someones experience with a 40,000 miles car.

I hope that you are right.

Greetings Joachim Engel

Reply to
Joachim Engel

Hi Joachim,

In message , Joachim Engel wrote (snipped some):

Nach meine meinung (und erfahrung) hat es mehr mit Glueck zu tun als guete oder schlechte marken/modelle.

Enweder wird Mann Glueklich beim verbraucht auto kaufen - oder nicht! Ich bin bisher immer Gluecklich geworden:

Vauxhall Cavalier CDI 2.0 117,000 km drauf. Ich habe es gefahren fuer vier jahre mit keine groesse probleme and verkauft mit 180,000 km.

Vauxhall Calibra 4x4 turbo 80,000 km drauf. Ich habe es gefahren fuer drei jahre mit keine groesse probleme and verkauft mit 150,000 km.

Peugeot 406 2.0 benzin turbo. Gekauft mit 40,000km drauf. Vier jahre gefahren mit keine groesse probleme. Verkauft in 2003 mit 90,000km.

Hoffentlich ermuntered Dir diese beispeile?

Mfg,

Reply to
Derek Tree

Hi Derek,

hey, where have you learned German so well. BTW I don't even know, which fellow country men are on this list? GB, USA, International?

Well you may be partially right (e.g. a bad batch), but there are typical failures with brands or types in the statistics.

Congratulations!

How did you like the engine? I've tried the Peugeot 406 Coupe 2.0 (2000) and I was not very pleased about the characteristics of the engine. I heard a strange resonance in the range of 1800 rpm and I sensed a lot of vibrations in the whole range. (I have to admint, I tried the V6 before ...)

Yes, they do. All I want is car I can rely on and makes me happy when I drive! ;-)

Kind regards Joachim Engel.

Reply to
Joachim Engel

Hi Liam,

ok, that's interesting.

I've heard of those problems. Seems to be typical.

Ok, sounds like normal wear.

Did the garage found this failure quickly?

Hmm.

Yeah, I've seen some with exactly that problem areas.

Do you have metallic paint? I've heard it's more robust.

Kind regards Joachim Engel

Reply to
Joachim Engel

Yes they kept the car overnight and set up the diagnostics for a cold start and found it on the first attempt.

Reply to
Noone

Hi Liam,

that's good.

That is also my impression. Some of them had small cavities in the paint because of split. (Hope that are the right expressions.)

Silver metallic seems to be the easiest to keep clean.

"550 mile week-end trip"? Where do you live? Texas? ;->

That is 11,6 l/100km. Well, the diesel needs nearly the half ... I wish it would be less, because gas is so expensive in Germany.

No speed limit in Germany! ;-} The speedo showed my 140 mph.

Compared to wot?

Kind regards Joachim Engel

Reply to
Joachim Engel

Silver metallic is definitely the easiest. My Volvo is Silver as where three of my previous cars but my wife wanted something different. The Coupe is her car but I clean it and it is hard work.

30 miles south of London. Went up to Yorkshire and back which is about 250 miles (230 of them motorway) in each direction.

I thought that we in the UK held the record for the most expensive petrol in Europe. There are some very good performing diesels and a

5 series BMW wanted to play a little at one point. Even though it was a 530di it had to give way.

If we were caught at those speeds in the UK we would never get our licence back. My son-in-law owned the car before I bought it from him and he had it clocked on a track at 149 MPH. Apparently it was totally stable at that speed.

I suspect almost any car that has little weight in order to get a good power to weight ratio. The Coupe felt as though it was very heavy and solidly planted on the road. There was no body roll, no pitch, no sway and no deviation from a straight line. My son-in-law has a BMW M5 with sports adaptive suspension which tightens up when sports mode is selected. My daughter has a Jaguar XKR with sports stability suspension. The peugeot felt almost as good as either of them.

The cars which scare me are those which feel as though they are starting to fly at high speeds and the sensation is that they feel as light as feather and the feedback from the road goes away. The coupe never felt like that at any speed.

Just one further comment..... I let my wife drive her car for a few trips while we were away and I sat in the back seat. Probably the most uncomfortable seats possible. Very hard and between the back wheels and definitely not good for anyone who has a tendency to car sickness, like some children.

Liam

Reply to
Noone

Guess so. Did you mean the car or the wife?.

Non metallic red is a very bad colour for fading. Must be something in the pigment but the sun does appear to bleach the body out of the colour.

I normally pay around 78.9 pence per litre which is 1.26 Euros for 97 octane super. Most of the price is tax which is levied under the guise of price restriction of use for "green" ecological reasons. If it was too cheap then we would sit for longer in more traffic jams.

For me cars have a character which is created by the look and feel both externally and from the driver's seat. The coupe feels like a sports car which handles very well and begs to be driven hard. I find that the 3.0ltr engine is just enough to match what the car feels as though it should do with what it actually can achieve. IMO any reduction in power may lead to perpetual disappointment. The diesel may be OK but I wouldn't even look at a 2.0Ltr as I suspect that it is a sheep in wolf's clothing.

Good question. 3 million UK drivers will get speeding tickets this year and I would guess that several times that number are pleased that they didn't get Gatso'd. Most people do stay below three digits although I was passed, at the weekend, by a few who thought they were in Germany.

I have had some fast, light cars but they have two problems.... (1) they aquaplane too easily on standing water and (2) at high speeds they float unless they are aerodynamically very well set-up.

The Audi TT had a problem with a light rear end which needed a spoiler to keep the back wheels on the road, at speed.

A good set of tyres at 35PSI all round and it is rock solid.

For some strange reason the Honda prelude has never been popular in the UK. Hondas in general have a reputation for being ultra reliable and very well built but for some reason the public do not buy them in large numbers. The coupe back seats are definitely useable by adults providing none are too tall. The seats are hard though and over rough surfaces there is the feeling that you are in a speedboat bumping over rippled water. It is also noisy from road noise. Another factor which is either good or bad is that in mine (se version) the front seats electrically drive forward and back when tilted which is a nice luxury touch but annoying when you have to tell a passenger to wait for a few seconds in the rain whilst the seat re-positions.

To re-cap... I have owned the car for three years, had minor problems but have not regretted buying it. Nothing will ever match a Nissan Silvia turbo that I bought new, kept for 15 years (115K miles), cost almost nothing in Nissan parts and was totally reliable. The Peugeot looks as though it could be heading for second place in the reliability stakes.

Regards, Liam

Reply to
Noone