Re: Wheel Wobble after changing tyres

probably no balanced them properly

Hi All, > I recently got some new front tyres put on my '306. > There was a bit of feathering on the old ones, so I asked them to do > tracking as well as balancing. I've used the place before, and they usually > do a good job. > Now I find that I am getting some wheel-wobble which peaks at just over > 70mph, and perhaps more worrying, there seems to be some wobble when I brake > at slower speeds. > Wheel-wobble at speed usually means to me balancing, whereas wobble with > braking makes me think of something more serious, like warped discs or > suspension parts. But why would it come on with new tyres ? > Is there a risk that they have damaged the alloys fitting the tyres? > The car has done 30,000 miles and never been badly "kerbed" etc > > Any ideas most gratefully received. > > Cheers, > > - Steve > >
Reply to
SimonDS

Had the same problem when I had new tyres - went back and asked them to rebalance and they had quite clearly not been balanced correctly. I've got the 205 standard alloys and they have no centre hole which is used by the connventional balancing machines, so not all places can balance them. They have to use an adapter of some kind, and use the stud holes to attach the alloy to the balancing machine.

Setting up this device is a bugger and it took me 3 visits to various places until I could find someone who knew how to do it properley to fit my size of alloy. When balancing was finally done correctly, all my problems went away.....

Ed.

Reply to
Ed

I had the same trouble getting my wheels balanced on my 306, I took my car round to 8 different places before I found one that could balance my wheels that had no centre hole.

Reply to
Mark

Your wheels are not balanced properly. What they do is balance them to within 5 grams (near enough syndrome, commonplace in the uk). Trouble is at 80mph you feel it loads more. When you brake its the same. If your discs are warped you will so know cos you will feel it through your pedal and steering wheel when you are braking, but wont feel it during driving or accelerating.

get them rebalanced. The way i tested mine was to swap ones on the front to ones on the back on the same side and see if it moved. If you then feel it through your seat then its balancing.

scott

Reply to
scott