Rear axle 306

Hi I have a 306D its beautiful, its done 106k but the engine has only done

44k. the problem is I have just taken it for a test to be told that I need a new back axle as it's not well, in the words of the testing guy "it's F%*ked" and to add to that he recons the chance of me finding a decent second hand one would be impossible as they all suffer from the same thing in the end. Got to say the car is great, looks good, drives well perfect in and out. so anyone got any ideas? I have looked myself and the drivers rear wheel has a mark around it where its been touching something on the inside of the wheel. seems a shame to scrap it and its such a nice car otherwise

any help would be most appreciated

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

How did they find that out . that you need a new rear axle? mybe new bushes.i think you should if you can have a look at it yourself or get some one that knows cars to have a look.never heard of a rear axle going wrong.only making a noise like its got no oil in it.so i think you should get it looked at by your self and a mate. chris addlestone.

Reply to
Chris

How did they find that out . that you need a new rear axle? mybe new bushes.i think you should if you can have a look at it yourself or get some one that knows cars to have a look.never heard of a rear axle going wrong.only making a noise like its got no oil in it.so i think you should get it looked at by your self and a mate. chris addlestone.

Reply to
Chris

Unfortunately it's a common failure on 306s and Citroens that use the same axle; there are radius arm bearings in the axle tube, water gets in there and ruins the bearings causing the radius arm and wheel to lean in at the top. A friend recently replaced his and was lucky enough to find a good one at a local breakers' yard. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

That's what the garage said, that I would be lucky to find one.,,,, I have tried the local yards and there is nothing, I wonder if findapart.com would have one and should I trust them? oh well thanks for the help......

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

Yes find a part are very good and you can always ask any problem with the part you are after.always ask.

Reply to
Chris

You don't say where you are but this outfit in Devon may be of help

Phil Cook

Should you trust just one MOT tester? Take it elsewhere and don't mention anything about the axle or failure.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

If you take it to another MOT station ,, you wont need to mention the defect, as it will show up on there screen, Last test date, time, what it failed on, what advisory issued etc,etc Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Is that since the new computerised MOT system was implemented? And do those details come up automatically or if requested by the Tester?

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Yes, Since the computers took control, the system has tightened up considerably, when the reg of the car is entered in, this gives the tester all the relevant information held at DVLA , if it is incomplete then the tester is asked to input the missing data, also the last test date and advisory defects come on the screen, I think the failures are listed as codes,

Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy