Rear wheels locking up (!)

OK, we've had a bit of rain the past two days and my rear wheels have repeatedly locked up at slow speeds with only moderate force. This has NEVER happened before and the tyres are in good condition. The day before it started raining, I had a big moment on a country road at night when a rabbit ran out in front of the car - everything went sideways and I nearly hit a tree.. In that case, everything locked up but I think again it was the rears first which caused me to nearly spin. Up until these incidents, my trusty old 305 with 185 R14 Goodyear tyres has always been incredibly stable under braking - even particularly heavy braking. Whilst the 'rabbit' incident was a little bit more than normal braking, all other times, I've been braking with only a normal force.. it's starting to make me quite nervous everytime a car unexpectedly pulls out in front of me, or if I need to brake harder than initially expected. It's like the rear wheels just snatch up all of a sudden.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm probably going to take the drums off at the weekend and have a look, but I've got a feeling that things are going to look OK back there (after all, the brakes ARE working!).

Cheers,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

Something similar happened years ago to me with my first 205 (954cc XL) - it was the handbrake gubbins in the drums that had come apart slightly (or broken, I can't remember now) and that would suddenly bind the brakes on - Was a bit odd as the handbrake appeared to still work ok.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Hmm, thanks, I'll take a look at that. As an update, I jacked the car up a bit earlier and none of the brakes are binding as it sits on the drive with me trying the footpedal and the handbrake lever. I dunno if it could be binding on as I'm driving along though, the drums felt quite hot when I got home today.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

There's usually a pressure restrictor for the back brakes, it sounds like it's failed if the cars always locking the back wheels even on normal to hard breaking.

jim.

Reply to
djimbo

I would have thought djimbo's answer is the most likely cause,

Neil

Reply to
Neil D