Relaibility of 206 coil pack?

I've just bought a 206 (1.2) on a Y plate. It's extremely clean and runs perfectly with 45k on clock. I read that the ecu's can go on these which is caused by the coil pack shorting. Is there any point in me replacing the coil pack as a "preventative action" bearing in mind that they ain't cheap nor is the ecu?

One other thing, the ecus are avaible on ebay and claim to come needing no programming, just plug it in. How is this done to bypass the programming?

Thanks - Derek

Reply to
Derek Giles

Sorry to be vague but here's what I know. A certain type (manufacturer) of Coil Pack is known to cause problems, exactly as you have described. Peugeot replace them under warranty almost as standard (obviously a bit late for you). So you could do some investigation on google or this board and find out which the type is that should be replaced.

However, this may be for newer 206s (mine is a 51) and the fact that yours still runs after x amount of years might be an indication that your coil pack is ok. But I would do the investigation anyway.

Derek Giles wrote:

Reply to
David

I had this problem. The dodgy Coil Pack's are the Sagem ones with a Sagem ECU. I replaced mine with a Bujicord Coil Pack. 30 minute job to swap the old one out with the new one. Cost about £50 from memory.

If you do blow the ECU, there is a company called Avilec in Southampton who can test your old one, and provide refurbished ECU's at a reasonable price (and no, I don't work for them or associated with them !!)

Hope this help, Tim.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

Thanks, there is no markings on it. How can I tell what make is fitted?

Reply to
Derek Giles