Removing steering wheel

I need to remove the steering wheel on my 307SW to fix the horn, but am a little reluctant because of the airbag. Does anyone know the procedure?

Reply to
Erik

This is what is given for my 306: Disconnect the battery, insulate the negative terminal to make certain it can't accidentally reconnect and wait fifteen minutes - go inside and have a cup of tea -before doing anything with the steering wheel.

Remove the air bag unit and remember to un-plug and un-thread the two halves of the actuation wire from the steering wheel before you pull the wheel off - that will save you having to get the soldering iron out to mend it.

On completion of work insert key in ignition turn on and then reconncet battery. Turn off ignition turn on ignition check that the air bag light goes off.

Reply to
Phil Cook

However the 307 is different. Switch off the ignition. You do not need to disconnect the battery. Leave the key in the ignition as you will need to turn the wheel. Look at the back of the wheel and you will see two small holes at three and nine o'clock ( with the wheel straight). You need to insert a rod in through the holes in turn and feel for a clip that is sprung. Push against the clip while pulling on the air bag. That side should come loose. Repeat on the other side and the air bag should be free. To disconnect the plugs, look at the plugs top and bottom of the air bag. You will see a locking tab which needs to be lifted up (use a small screwdriver). Then gently pry the plug off with the small screwdriver. They are colour coded green and blue. Then pull off the earth wire. You will see the earth terminal on the wheel--two wires going into a metal thingy that is just pushed into a square hole. Dig it out and cut it off close to the metal. Then crimp both wires into a round terminal. Just below where the earth was is a slightly raised round bit. Drill a hole straight through the wheel being careful not to damage the shroud behind covering the Comm 2000. You then need to screw the round terminal to the wheel with a self tapper (1/8th hole-

1/8th self tapper) just long enough to go through the wheel but not to touch the shroud. Make sure it is tight. That's it. Replace connectors on the air bag, line it up and push back on to the wheel. The horn will probably sound as you do this!!

If you are feeling adventurous, because of the aluminium filings getting everywhere when you drill the hole, take the wheel right off and do it outside. Just disconnect the flat plug (note how it is sited in the wheel) remove the centre bolt (Torx 55 ), and with the flat of your hands, hit the wheel firmly at opposite points of the wheel a few times until it comes loose. Note the lining up marks behind the centre bolt.

Good luck. Anything that is not clear just ask. I know it is difficult to explain like this but I hope you understand. As long as the ignition is off when you disconnect or reconnect the airbag you will have no problems with the airbag going off. I have done countless of these mods with no problem at all.

Reply to
nigel