Shell Optimax

Has anyone got any views good, bad or otherwise on the use of Shell Optimax petrol

I drive a 406 2lt Turbo Exec.

Regards

Tony R

Reply to
Anthony Redshaw

From what I can tell in other news groups it either works or it doesn't. Some people reckon supermarket petrol is rubbish, others like me have never noticed any difference. There may be a long term benefit over several tens of refills but it may also be that any benefits in terms of fuel economy might be undercut by cheaper petrol. Certainly in my motorbike fuelling with standard unleaded or superduper unleaded makes not a hap'orth of difference.

Reply to
Malc

Just like other High Octane fuel (Super Unleaded, BP Ultimate) it does nothing whatsoever unless your engine is specifically designed to use it (ie, high-performance Japanese cars).

Octane rating is simply resistance-to-knock - the higher octane the fuel is, the higher the compression ratio an engine can use before detonation occurs. If you're not running said higher-compression, then there's nothing to be gained.

Reply to
Nom

It's just damned expensive for bog all gain. Unless it's for a Ferrari

Reply to
johnyh

Thanks for the notes

I think I'll stick to 95