Should I buy a peugeot??

I currently drive a ford KA 2 T reg and I am looking to get something else around the £7000 mark.

I really like the look of the 206 and was wondering if I buy one, which model should I go for?

I am currently looking at the 1.4 GLX model with an 02/03 plate as they are around £7000 but since there are so many other models around (LX, Look, Quicksilver etc) it is hard to know what model to look for!

I am not too bothered about the incar sound system as I will be installing my own existing head unit, cd changer & sub but I do like other nice little features i.e. heated windows, lots of gadgets etc!

So, what model should I be looking for or should I go for the GLX?

I've also heard that Peugeots have lots and lots of constant problems and I have seen mixed reviews on websites but I suppose that is the same with most cars....

I would prefer the following type:

Hatchback, 3 door.

1.4 (no more than that as my insurance goes up too much!) Around an 02/03 plate. Not a GTi!!! although they are nice!

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Moo

Reply to
Moo

Personally i like the 206 XSi 1.6. Has the sporty seats and bumpers and stuff :)

Reply to
Dan405

What sort of stuff? My insurance goes up £84 with the 1.4 GLX and £190 with the 1.6 GLX which is a little bit more than I am wanting to pay..

Reply to
Moo

Well it has the nicer sports interior, almost all have A/C and all have the electrics, they also have the slighly bigger and nicer alloys, and a few of them have had the dealer SP kit fitted, which makes them look much nicer :)

Reply to
Dan405

I suppose I am just going to have to go to the dealers and see what they have... I really like Diablo red but there are not many of them around..

Reply to
Moo

I like the Firedance Orange :D

Reply to
Dan405

I would NOT recommend Peugeots

I've had them for the last 9 years and they have cost me nothing but money not to mention one nearly killing me with the brakes. I'll sum them up for you. Overrated, Shite, Smokey Engines, Crap electronics, Awful Suspension. And that's just on 309's and 306's

You only have to read this group to notice all the problems with them. Get a Jap or German car.

French are cowards, the lot of them!!

Reply to
GT

If you hate them so much why are you even reading a peugeot group?

Reply to
Moo

He's wrong anyway :) Get one, they rock.

206's look nice, have nice interiors that seem pretty tough, have no more horror stories than every other small car out there. You may find the pedals too close together, mind you, i've driven the 1.9D, 1.4, GTi and GTi 180 and i never had a problem with size 10 skate shoes...

GTi 180 is AWESOME by the way :)

Reply to
Dan405

Hi,

During one minute I've been affraid someone took my pseudo. Nice the dot is missing :-)

Neither would I recommend a german car (c'mon, have you seen the Mk5 Golf ?).

LOL ! Crap electronics... There are no electronics on 309s - excepted ignition and heater fan control.

F#ck off. Remeber Waterloo - not that a clean strategy to use mercenaries to compensate the lack of soldiers.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

If you read the motoring press, the answer would be that you shouldn't buy a

206. It's not great in any particular area (they say), and quite poor in some. The driving position and interior quality are usually slated, and the 206 is nothing special in terms of safety kit, performance, handling or ride. It's getting on a bit too. Reliability is not very good, and Peugeot dealers are ususally terrible.

But it does still look pretty nice, and hold its value well.

But if you try it and really like it, that's what matters.

I think I'd be looking hard at the Ibiza, the Micra and the Clio before making my decision.

Androo

Reply to
Androo

I'm reading it because I love laughing at the stories on here

Get one see if care, don't say I didn't warn you

Reply to
GT

I'd personally be looking at a decent Golf or a Audi A3 if you can afford it, much better engineering, better dealers and aftersales. If your after a smaller car like the 206 then have a look at the Vauxhall Corsa or Astra range, they seem pretty solid, the SXI models are a quite well spec'd.

I drove to Manchester today and couldn't help noticing on the way about 3 or

4 Peugeots that all blew out some kind of s**te, the engines are just not upto scratch in my book, I could list about 20 more faults but I wont ;-)

GT

Reply to
GT

HAHA did I hit a nerve ;-)

Reply to
GT

i would never have admitted to the Ka

Reply to
Mindwipe

Was it black smoke?

Reply to
Dan405

Me neither - crappy 1.3 engine (old technology, same unit as used in

80's/90's Fiestas) and you have to rev the knackers off it to get anywhere.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

And there's the first point - newer Golf's are overpriced and bloated. Audi's are just over priced!

Possibly so...

Vauxhall have just as many problems as Peugeot with build quality...

Was probably Diesels and like all diesels, blow out black smoke on gear change/accelleration when cold

more faults but I wont ;-)

Peugeot diesel engines are generally considered to be excellent - they easily run for 200k+ miles and have been used by many other manufacturers such as LDV for example because of this.

I myself have a 205 1360cc Petrol with 133k miles on the clock and it runs smoothly with no smoke or untoward noises. I've had garages comment on how good the engine sounds especially considering the mileage. And no, this hasn't always been a pampered car, it originally was a company car and covered most of its mileage in the first few years and we all know how company cars get treated by sales staff...

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Hello,

Nope, this story is far too old for me. That was an example of betrayal, or at least an example of behavior which doesn't comply with classical war leading rules.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

All blue and grey smoke, I had to overtake one because the smell was getting on my chest.

Audi's and VW may well be overprice, but the fact is you get what you pay for!

Reply to
GT