Should I buy a peugeot??

I can only give you my own personal opinion. I've had 3 Peugeots (currently own a 1996 306, had from nearly new, and a 1998 406), and the 306 has been excellent throughout the years, the 406 has needed somethings changed, but it has got 160,000 miles on it, so that can be forgiven a bit. Anyway, any bad points seem to dissappear as soon as I get behind the wheel of either of them, as their the best driver's car you can have, and I think they all look stylish. We're looking at changing both our cars in the next couple of years, and have comtemplated many, but we keep coming back to Peugeots, so I can definitely recommend them. On the 206 insurance subject, have you thought about a diesel. Our 306 is a 'D Turbo' model, which is identical to the XSi except for the engine. And that brings it down to insurance group 5, really cheap. They do a 206 D Turbo, see if you can see any. I think that could be your answer,

Neil

Reply to
Neil D

My wife and I have had 4 Peugeots; three diesels and a petrol - no major faults with any of them. My brother had an old 1.3 petrol 309 which he ran up to 153,000 miles with minimal oil changes, no major repairs and the most an MOT pass ever cost him was £110! Jammy git!

The 206 1.6 petrol is not significantly better than the 1.4, certainly not with the extra insurance you are being quoted for.

I agree with the comments on diesels, as long as you are doing a reasonable mileage. Don't bother if you're only covering 5000 miles per year. I currently have a 2.0HDi SW which is nippy and yet returns 53mpg. The 1.4 diesel is very economical and adequately quick.

The 1.4 petrol is fine, the 1.1 petrol is an abomination and should be avoided at all costs.

Reply to
Doctor D.

my input on this is this, my first 306 XND 1996 was reliable 100% my 2nd 306 1.6 LX was shit (exhaust dropped off, coil pack failed, ECU blew, AirCon Bitrin Unit & Condensor Failed, Central Locking Failed, Water leaked through hatch, 2x discs warped, Stepper motor replaced, Purge canister & rear brake cylinders......all in 10months) My 3rd 306 1998 DTurbo has been 100% so far My old 205 diesel was 100% except for a set of brake cylinders

so....

Diesel PUGs are brill, Petrol suck.

Then again my wifes mk2 Golf was a dog and her new punto is a pain also (cylinder head twice in 6 months) My old Astra loved clutches and cams and the Fiesta wouldn't start if you took it within 10 feet of moisture.....

So....

Every manufacturer has problems, did you read in a survey in last weeks paper that 23% of Audi TT broke down in there first 12 months....

Reply to
SimonDS

Hi,

Well, to be honnest, I think it's a bit fast. I do agree with half of your statement, Diesel Pugs are brilliant. Certainly a class above the others, even if it's less true than before*. Petrol pugs are still as good, with good performances and moderate consumption. I've driven a 1.1, a 1.4 both TU-powered 205s, a 1.0i 106, a 1.8 Xsara, a 1.9i

405, and a '95 1.4i Polo. No comment for the 106, that's sluggish, even with the 5 gears, but a lot more comfy to drive than the Polo. The Polo was awful, shitty gearbox, a bit of punch, but a so loud noise that you think it's a Diesel.
  • Before, it was clear : the great era of XUD showed they were naturally over the rest of 4 cylinders Diesel production - a kind of superiority I do appreciate every time I have to go on an average trip, whether it is mainly on road or motorways. Nowadays, almost all other manufacturers have made important progresses in Diesel design, like Renault. Only some others, like VW, have decided to follow their own road, with noisy, violent and a bit archaic TDi.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T