Smokey Pug 106

Hi, I have a slight smoking problem with my 1998 Peugeot 106 diesel

1527cc. Every time I start-up, be it a cold or hot start, I have a cloud of white smoke exiting from the exhaust like a bloody volcanic eruption. The engine has just had a complete top end rebuild with brand new components, refurbished injectors & the valves have been digitally re-seated, everything has been set & checked for tolerance. The car has run fine until a couple of weeks ago when I started getting the volcanic smoke cloud following me, the car has also lost a fair bit of grunt. Obviously I've checked & rechecked all the recent work to the engine, glow plugs, compression test & pump timing, even had the injectors checked again for correct spray pattern.

Any ideas?

Reply to
wyn.w

White smoke is unburnt fuel. Are you sure that the fuel pump timing is correct, as retarded injection timing is normally the cause. It would also cause loss of power. Remember that there are the bolts which hold the pump sprocket onto the pump hub, which will allow the timing to alter if they are not tight. The natural way for this to go would be retarded. Unless of course it's steam, in which case you have a faulty head gasket. But you would be losing coolant if this were the case. Actually in a diesel, you normally get pressure building up in the rad rather than steam in the exhaust, due to the very high compression.

Reply to
Brian

Yes, the sight of the guy trying to use the 'sniffer' thing on the top of my radiator but failing due to gas and hotwater erupting out of the rad. filler would have been so much more amusing had my head gasket not gone... :-/

Reply to
Peter Chant