Smoking Boxer

I have just invested in a new cylinder head for my 2.5 TD Boxer, - UHH! Now it run fine again, BUT when I start it cold it smokes heavily blue for 10

-20 sec., as if one cylinder does not work. Before the repair one cylinder did`nt work, both because of water intrusion and an inactive glow plug. That caused blue smoke en masse! Now all glow plugs are replaced and all cylinders are working at once. Can a worn injector do that?

Reply to
stratos

Hi,

Not for only 10-20 sec at cold start, I guess. I'd have a double-check on glow plugs.

Hey, do you, guys, know what my good old 205 has offered me as a first fail ?

a+,

-- G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Errr emissions?

Reply to
Nigel

Hi,

Nope. anyway won't be checked until next inspection, due in late June.

My "first fail" (after 8 years and over 60,000 miles I'm driving it) was a glow plug, burnt out in short circuit (gasp !). A very rare fail (they usually tend to present a higher and higher resistance, this making the engine starting poorly).

If anyone interrested, when turning on the ignition, glow light came on as usual, then off after about 1-2 seconds (I didn't care : I've been so used to see the light on, and I also use to fasten my seat-belt while glowing up). Of course, bad bad start (20 miles 4 hours ago, not that warm then). Diagnose it : 0V at the relay's power output, glow plugs wire removed : light on and 12V, plus a big flash when trying to plug the wire "on the fly".

I was angry, as the glow plugs set was only 2 years old. Really a pity, as they were Bosch-made.

Regards,

-- G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T