Spare key not starting engine

Hi Chris,

I don't understand what you mean by "glass container". If you mean a "window" on the side of the key, it's useless as they use RF, and not IR anymore.

Regards,

-- G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Just to repeat, my second key, which isn't a 'plip'/button one, doesn't contain any visible electronics. There is a tiny little RF chip inside embedded in the plastic end. The only way to see the RF chip is to melt the key/cut it up.

Dave G via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
David Hearn

Then one is missing. Your dealer probably lost it, and replaced it with a cheaper none-plip key.

Yep, that's just how it should be.

Reply to
Nom

Many thanks for all the ideas and the help. I am biting the bullet and taking it to a Pug " stealership " tomorrow as I can't afford to let this happen again. I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks aga>> That's the old system where you could program a key into the IR

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

I think you have me wrong. I was wondering if the part inside the cowling that reads the key, reads it constantly. If it is only required to start the car, then putting the plip key next to the non-plip key might send a signal to the immobiliser to disarm, thereby using the normal to turn the lock and start the engine.

Reply to
Terrytubby

The outcome of this was the ECU was not programmed for a 2nd key. This took

20 mins to correct and cost £70. I explained that this was the first time the key had been used and the car must have been in this condition since new and this charge should be waived but the dealer was not interested. A Saab 9-5 is looking even more attractive !

Dave G

Terrytubby wrote:

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

Reply to
sargasso
£70 is excessive to program in a key I think! Even at their normal rates, that's going to be not far off their hourly rate for garage work

- let alone an easy job like that!

I do like it when I diagnosed things right though... ;)

Dave G via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
David Hearn

Here's the rub - your ECU *was* programmed for a second key, but it was the second key with the plips that was lost !

As previously discussed, your 406 came with two plip keys from the factory - but when somebody replaced the missing one with the none-plip key, they obviously didn't bother telling the car...

I'd be OUTRAGED at a £70 bill for that :) Not >

Reply to
Nom

Let's try 'glass capsule', I was struggling to find the words that night when I wrote that :D

I know they use RF. The capsules are actually powered by the RF pulse from the coil surrounding the lock and they respond to this by transmitting their code, that all happens in a few milliseconds as you turn the key to start the engine.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

My impression is that the handshake between the car and the key is similar to reading the microchip inserted in a dog or attached to any piece of hardware. Correct? The button system only engages the central locking. Correct?

Our dogs are all microchipped - apparently our 406 keys are too.

Our 406 came with two keys - one with a single button, one without.

This thread, like many others, is very helpful in helping me understand what is going on. For instance I have been worried about the consequences of key battery failure. Now, if I have it right, my key doesn't have a battery and my wife's (the one with the button) will still open and start the car even if the battery is flat. Only the remote locking/unlocking will be lost.

Do I have it right?

Reply to
Ken

The only thing you might have problems with would be alarm systems which are activated and deactivated by the remote plip. Opening the door with the key in the lock could in some cars cause the alarm to go off.

Reply to
Brian

Yes you are correct and it works very well providing the car knows there are

2 keys .. very expensive if it dosn't.

DaveG

Ken wrote:

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

Yes

Only with the old ultrasonic system which detected motion inside the car which was armed and disarmed by the IR key and could also be disarmed with the button on the side of the steering column. The more modern Peugeots don't use that system.

The newer keys have a chip which is read by the car at startup. Either key, with or without buttons will open the door if used in the lock. Either will start the car /if/ it has been programmed into the ECU.

Some cars came with two remote locking keys some with one and a plain key.

Reply to
Phil Cook