Speedo

Hi, Was driving along in my 406 (2000 W reg) today at 60mph when all of a sudden the speedo dropped to zero. The car still drives fine but I dont know how fast im going?

Anyone any ideas? Cheers Oli

Reply to
Oli

You have reached the speed of light seems....unfortunately French cars are so naff that they don't know how to record the speed of light thus the result of dropping to zero. I regret buying one!

Reply to
Jay

Hmmm - don't think I could get to the speed of light in a deisel! Economy is good tho and I agree that French cars are hard to work with!

Problem is..... I would like to know how fast (or slowly :-)) im going!

Oli

Reply to
Oli

Sounds like it's either a 2.0 petrol or 2.1 TD like mine. Seems to be an ever increasing 406 problem. The problem lies behind the glovebox, there is a black box, with a cream top and red cable connector going into it. Pull the box downwards and you can realease the cables by pulling the red part to the side. You've got to see it to understand what I'm on about. You may need to remove the glove box, but I managed to get at it fro mthe passenger footwell with no problem. The box can be bought from Peugeot for about £40. It's called a 'speedo transducer'. And after phoning 4 Peugeot dealers, I found they prices ranged between £38 and £51! Also 2 of the dealers instantly knew what I was on about said it seems to be a common fault, the other 2 lied. It only affects the bigger engine 406's as the 1.9 diesel and

1.8 petrol are basic cable driven speedo's (which incidentally don't seem to have any problems),

Hope this helps Neil

Reply to
Neil D

No they're not. All 406's are electronic speedos, and they're all affected by speedo problems, though not to the same extent. BUT, they don't have the control boxes behind the glovebox, so if they stop working it is usually the vehicle speed sensor on the gearbox.

Reply to
Nigel

I have had the intermittent Speedo dropping to zero for a few seconds fault for a couple of years now. My car is a 1999 406 Executive, 2 litre petrol model with an automatic gearbox.

I don't have the box under the glovebox referred to in other posts, but I have been advised the fault is caused by the multi function switch mounted on the auto box, costs just over £50. Has anyone else with the fault had any success by changing this unit?

Reply to
Robin Bendall

Well mine is still at zero! I dont have the box under the g lovebox either - mine is the 2.0 Diesel Manual Rapier (2000).

Well its booked into my Peugeot dealer now so we'll see what they say!

Reply to
Oli

Please let us know the outcome

Reply to