Squealing noise - 306

Drove my 306 1.6 petrol Meridian with aircon earlier this afternoon and suddenly the car is making a squealing noise as if the brake pads had worn down to the metal. I didn't recall hearing a noise when I drove it this morning.

I changed the discs and pads last Xmas so the pads should not have worn yet ( I don't use the car a great deal- about 3 times a week-short journeys). Is it common for a part in the brake system to work its way loose and make contact with the discs?

The driveshaft coupling has been making a noise for some time, is it common for a bearing to wear and account for the squealing noise?

Any useful advice would be appreciated.

Michelle Rendle