Strange light on the dash coming on (306 Diesel)

Hi I've noticed for a while now a light appearing on the dash - it was so fast at first I thought it was my eye lash catching my eye.

Anyway the light stayed on today for about 5 seconds - it looked like a tube thermometer "I think" I've never seen this symbol before, anyway I have a feeling its water temperature so what I am thinking of can I (if I can find it) earth the temperature sender the car has a temp gauge on but I want to prove this sender obviously these Peugeots must have two on them. While I remember do these vehicles have a warning light for water in the fuel? The vehicle was reitered in 1993 (L) 1905 CC

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I'm pretty sure it's the Water In Fuel warning light. From your description it sounds like this and it does have the habit of giving false indications. However, I'd just check for water in fuel just in case - it's quite quick and easy to check. Just drain a little of the fuel from the bleed tube at the bottom of the fuel filter.

Stuart

Stuart Dalby

I'm wondering if there is a site that displays the dash symbols. I've checked the Haynes manuals and there's nothing in there. Bill

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Oliver

Maybe not

My 406 handbook says the Airbag warning light is "an engine management fault" And the Battery/Alternator warning lamp is "ABS Failure".

Reply to
Mark Carver

I didn't get a handbook I bought the car second hand (no papers) - though if somebody has the time to scan this for me I'd appreciate this.

bill

Reply to
Bill

Is it top left of the dash? If so then it's the water in fuel warning. Had the same on my 306. Kept flashing on for a while and then would go away again.

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

yeah its top left, I knew the air filter hadn't been changed for a year so I renewed that(I know its unrelated) then I put some antifreeze in - the light hasn't been on since, though I'm not expecting the little changes to have any bearing on this dash light - I'm waiting for the light to flash again soon. I suppose if it starts again I'll change the fuel filter.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It did it on mine for a couple of months on and off. Never changed anything and it went away in the end!

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff