Strange Nosie when changing gears?

I have a fairly new 1.9 Pug diesel (NT), we have had it for 6 months now, and racked up 13k on it. Now over the past few weeks, when we start it up in the morning the engine makes a funny low rattle niose, but as soon as you put it in gear and drive off the rattle goes. Then when you put the clutch in to change to 2nd, the noise is back, but as soon as you lift your foot from the clutch, the noise goes. And so on as you go up the gears. (The noise seems to get quieter as you go up the gears to 5th)

Now this happens most of the time, but if the cars been running for a while, it sometimes just stops happening, and then again it sometimes happens all the time....Weird eh?

Im going to have to take it back Into Pugeout, but im hoping to give them some more of a suggestion, as i know what they will say when i tell them...."well i have this noise that sometimes happens, and sometimes doesnt"

Ta!

Reply to
alex.haden

If the noise occurs at low engine speed in neutral, but stops with clutch down and in gear then it probably has a noisy gearbox input shaft bearing. Some vehicles (like old Fiats) have this as standard and it is little to worry about, sometimes it can be quietened by changing grade of oil. Sometimes a rebuild is needed.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful