Sudden coolant loss on 306 XSi

Hi all I have an aging Peugeot 306 XSi ('95, 'N' reg). It had the head gasket replaced several years ago. Recently I've been having intermittent problems with overheating & loss of oil & coolant, which I've managed to mitigate this by paying attention to keeping things topped up. I had a friendly local repair guy check it out and he said the head gasket was starting to go,but was still OK for now. So I realise I'm on thin ice at the moment...

Anyway, last week when parking I noticed liquid stains on the ground. From looking under the car I could see liquid dripping from what looked like the underside of the engine, driver's side. The liquid looks like coolant, not oil, & the coolant level is way down.

Although something important is obviously wrong, this doesn't seem to be what I'd expect to see if the head gasket had actually gone. Any thoughts on what might have happened and what I might do to check it out, prior to getting a garage to have a look at it (or scrap it ;- ( )?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards Jon N

Reply to
jkn