tacho rev gauge not working

Hi, I have purchased a 2001 HDI partner van which I am pretty impressed with so far. Anyway, the tachco is not working but seems to flicker when first started and then nothing. Anyone any ideas as to what these tachco's use as a signal pickup and what the problem may be, fingers crossed its just a loose wire

Thanks in advance Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Check the multi plug . and the sensor gos into the back of the gear-box and pick up from the flywheel.i had this problem on my 405.i had to cut the plug off and wire the wires together . i have got new unit but like always have not fitted it yet.

Reply to
Chris

Many thanks Chris, I shall crawl underneath and have a look tomorrow. Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Why wait till sat or sun to do the job.get a torch and have a look in the dark hahahaha

Reply to
Chris

In my younger days I would have done, I'm even a little bit tempted to now , but I think I'll wait till daylight (oh what the hell where's the torch) cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Well dos it work now?

Reply to
Chris

I ended working for most of the day, so I have still not had the chance to crawl under it yet. I will be doing it tomorrow though as long as it not raining that is.

Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

No sunny day for sunday so you can do it and get a tan aswell hahahah good luck..

Reply to
Chris

well, no luck with the rev meter, I have unplugged and re-plugged in every connector that I could find, with no luck at all. I have managed to cut my fingers in god only knows how many places. Do Peugeot design those razor sharp bits of plastic under the bonnet on purpose to keep the home mechanic out of the engine bay. I think I will stick a time clock over the top of it. One thing I have noticed though is when I turn it off I get a sort of "grrrrr" noise for a split second from behind the rev gauge itself. I did give it a filter and oil change while I was messing about, so not all a waste of time.

Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Did you find out where it went into the gear box? it could be that end not in far or to far in ..

Reply to
Chris

I believe I did find where it went into the gearbox, although I can not be

100% sure. Not really a lot of room in the partner engine bay to get your arms in, but I'm am pretty much sure that I found it. I just got to the stage of unplugging and cleaning all the connectors that I could find in the end. The van also has a very very very bloody annoying sort of whistle or high pitch hum it happens when you very gently put your foot on the accelerator, push it down harder and the noise is gone, cruise along at 60 with your foot just on the gas and the whistle or hum is back, it does it in neutral and when standing still so its nothing to do with gearbox.It just seems to happen at certain low revs, if the bloody tachco worked I would know at what revs. I am going to have to bite the bullet and take it into Peugeot and see if they no what the whistle or hum is.I will get them to sort the tachco out while they have it in. Its very faint but its one of those noises that once you hear it you pick it up all the time. I am very tempted to park the van in a field and set fire to it if they cannot find the whistle.it really is driving me bloody nuts. Otherwise if all else fails then a very cheap HDI 2001 partner van will be on e-bay, I recommend it to those that cannot hear high pitched whistles.

Reply to
Gary G Jones

is it turbo? also it could be a pipe sucking in air or letting air out. what about your fan belt is it tight?my 405 has got a very strange noise but its because i got to replace the fan belt.spray wd40 on it and see if the noise gos.i did on mione and it stopped, so i know its the belt.

Reply to
Chris

Hi Chris Its definitely not a turbo whistle, I drive a Citroen synergie so I know that sound very well. Its more of a tuning fork sort of whistle / hum, bloody hard to explain really. As soon as you point it out to anyone they can then hear it all the time. I have a feeling its coming from around the diesel injection pump area, although I am not sure. Apart from this and the tachco not working its a brilliant van, it drives like a rocket for a diesel and pulls like a train. I will try and pop into a dealer tomorrow if I get the chance and see what they say. The tachco I live without , but the bloody whistle at low rev's in the background is another matter. I'll let you know how I get on. (never had all this electronic gubbins in my old 205GTI ) Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

WOOOHOOO I have managed to find the whistle / hum it turned out to be one of the metal fuel pipes acting like a tuning fork at certain revs The cure was to place a piece of wood on the pipe and hit it with a hammer. Hum gone. It was that simple, only took me 2 days to find it. At least I can now keep the van and maybe even enjoy driving it. As for the tacho I have booked it in for Friday morning to get it looked at. I hope that it is the pick-up sensor connection like you suggested and I have just missed it. I will keep you posted on the findings

Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Do you really need the tachometer? We never used to have them and drove by ear and seat of pants. I'd be inclined to save the money myself.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Hi Keith, To be honest, no I don't need it. It just gets on my nerves that its fitted and does not work. I'm not really sure why they started to fit tacho's to diesels anyway. As you say I have done many thousands of miles with out the aid of a tacho.I suppose they fit them so people like me waste money getting them sorted out when they pack up.

Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

You dont need a rev counter just wait till the engine dont go any faster.or wait for a BANG.. HAHAHAH

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
Michael Roche

Thanks to all who suggested places to look for the whistle / hum