Things to look for when buying Pug 406 ?

Hi,

I'm on the lookout for a cheap high mileage 100-150K+ 406 Diesel ( 1.9 or

2.1TD GLX or Exclusive). Besides the usual stuff about service history & spotting accident repairs, is there any particular weekspots I should be looking for.

I've already got a Synertgie with an XUD9 engine, so I know about some of its strengths / weeknesses.

But I'd leak to know whether there are common probs on things like :-

Suspension / brakes Steering & linkages Uneven tyre wear Gearbox bearings / clunky driveshafts Bad electrics Water traps, common leakage areas Poor trim / fittings

The car which the 406 will replace is an Audi 80 TDI which is very rubust & does 52mpg ( mainly motorway ), although its not what I'd call a drivers car. I believe the 406 gets top marks for comfort & handling but I'd like to know what the 1.9 &2.1 TD 406's manage to achieve on average. I doubt an indirect TD can do 52 mpg and suspect the figures will be more along the lines of 45mpg (1.9) & 43mpg (2.1). can any regular 406 TD users confirm what they can do to the gallan.

Rgds

Reply to
Ebodski

I have recently bought a 2.1 TD Exec.

Economy, I think it averages about 40-45 mpg short runs. I got 52 on a 600 mile journey driving between 70-80. I also tow a 1100 Kg caravan with it and that drops it to approx 30 mpg.

If you buy a model that has lots of toys like the Exec, make sure the ones you like are working properly. Quite expensive to repair.

Had a nasty leak in the rear drivers side door. Door seal was fine, but it was coming in between the door and the membrane under the trim panel. Check the carpets fully ! Mine was only because someone had previously been in there doing some work on the door internals !

Mine is a 97 with 118K miles and drives lovely. Very good drive, comfortable seats/driving position and pretty god handling. Took me a while to get used to the steering. Cant remember what the system is called but basically the slower you are travellin the more power asist there is and vice versa.

Having prev owned a Mondeo (with power steering) and driven the 406 for a few weeks, then gone back into the Mondeo, it felt like driving a truck with no power assistance.

Regards

Colin

Reply to
Colin Forsyth

I've had a 1998 406 2.1TD GLX for nearly 2 years now. When I bought it, it had 131,000 miles on it. I was really shocked at how well it had taken the miles, one of the nicest cars I've driven. Still feels like new and has over

150,000 on it now. Problems I've had are leaking radiator, sealed with "BARRS leaks". Check the brakes at high speed, make sure they don't wobble, that's quite a common fault, warped discs, not very expensive. Also had a leaking clutch slave cylinder, not a big job, but a £160 part. Recently, I had a broken keyway, again not much labour but a £100+ part. These have been over 2 years, and I bought it with my eyes open (i.e, high mileage is bound to bring a few problems). But despite this, the car is easily forgiven as it's such a lovely car to drive. Almost everyone who's been in it compliments it on its comfort and quietness. And their even more surprised when they know the mileage. There's not a rattle or anything. It's a car I would recommend over and over again. If fact, we planned to change it 6 months ago, but there's not a car I prefer, looks or ride, so that's speaks for itself. Contact me if you want to know anything else, because I could go on all day about it,

Neil

Reply to
Neil D

try to find a HDI 110 Bhp

mine does 23km/L @ 120km/h ( 23 x 3.79) : 1.62 = 53.8 Mpg

look for worn clutches ( slightly press pedal! it is not! suposed to make noise cambelt interval is @ 160.000 km ( check if its done) to be safe change the cambelt @ 100.000 km look for surface scratches on the wind shield check all the electric gadgets! check lights, rear window heating, wipers, if there the rain sensor check airco ( listen to the pump! you'rnot supose to hear it over the engine noise)

put it on a bridge

check axl hoses/covers homokinetic covers, frontwheel swivel pionts brake discs ( warps ) check tyres for wear of at the sides ( indicates racing!) double check exhaust (expensive!) check door henges, locks, switches, aks for the service history, key number card, keys,

check wear of @ the keys, pedals, seats (has the milage been fidlled with!) ( check for left behind oilchange cards under the carpets check if the car is not "chipped" ( garanty warrance)

do not ever use slick50 or something like that in it! ask for it if they have done, if so don't buy it

drive, accelerate ( should go flawlessly) without rattles take bumbs listen for noises, brake hard, brake hard on slippery surface ( ABS), curve left and right firm car should remain stable check handbrake!

it takes the milage very wel, you could by one with 250.000 km racked up but use it to rebate the price

best of luck

Marc

Reply to
Marc