This isn't fun anymore..

Sorry guys, this is probably just a bit of rant but if anyone has any good advice about any of this (other than 'scrap the car') then I'd like to hear it. In the space of a week my trusty old 305 (yes, with my fuel injection conversion) seems to be on the verge of dying in the most hideous way. It was suffering from an oil burning problem when it was left idling for a long time. However, it's never got bad enough to affect the car at any other time than if it's left idling excessively. A couple of weeks ago I changed a wheel bearing - it was the biggest problem I had with the car and it was good to finally get it out of the way, I thought the engine would at least last until next summer when I could make a decision on whether to refurbish the engine, replace it or replace the whole car. Never turns out that way, does it? About half way through last week I started noticing a rattling noise under acceleration when the engine is cold. It's got progressively louder since then, although it's not deafening (yet!). It seems to be coming from the top end. It sounds like I've got a sewing machine under the bonnet. Whilst listening to the noise, I noticed two other things:

  1. A crack has appeared on the cylinder head where part of the exhaust manifold is bolted to the head - but it doesn't seem to leaking any exhaust gases though.
  2. I'd lost some water - there wasn't much left in the header tank (it was below minimum) and there appeared to be water resting under the front part of the cylinder head - as if it was leaking from around there.

With all this going on, the engine was still running and there hasn't been any real noticable drop in power. However, the exhaust keeps coming apart in the centre and I think maybe it's caused by excessive engine shaking. I replaced the lower engine mount twice earlier in the year (the first new one cracked) and now I think the top one has gone.

Now, today, my brakes have randomly stopped working. They were fine until halfway through the day when the pedal started travelling further - it's now got to the point where sometimes they work fine and other times I can put my foot right down to the floor with hardly any braking. I think maybe I'm leaking fluid from the master cylinder? I don't seem to have lost much fluid yet though and I can't see a leak.

In other words (and to put it much more succinctly), my car is undrivable and the engine is about to do something nasty. Dammit. People tell me I should get a new car. They're probably right, but I am mad and I want to keep it. Anyone have anything helpful to say or does this look like an almost complete overhaul of the engine bay components? To be honest, I think I already know the answer to all this but there's no harm in asking and like I said at the start, I'm just ranting about it all ;)

I have one mental idea... upgrade all the running gear (brakes, suspension, etc) and drop in an Mi16 engine. Does anyone know if it's ever been done on a 305? (the current engine is an XU)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

The brakes sound like they have the same symptom as mine, and all I had done was the rear drum brakes adjusted. Apprantly the self adjusting spring was playing up. So you might wanna check that out...as for the engine, it does sound a little buggered!

suspension,

Reply to
Oliver

Thanks for that tip. I'll take a look. Now I think about it, I did note that the rear shoes seemed slightly noisy in the morning - making a kinda darth-vader-breathing-noise which had disappeared by the time my brakes stopped working. I also noticed a couple of weeks ago that the handbrake seemed to be going out of adjustment but the auto-adjuster kicked in one day and it all sorted itself out. Maybe something is wrong back there (here's hoping!). But yes, sadly the engine does seem to be on it's last legs. Fortunately, I do have a spare carburettor-based cylinder head sitting in my shed, but I'm a bit loathed to fit it considering all the changes I made to get the fuel injection unit in there. It probably won't just bolt on and go. Maybe I'll see if I can get another 405 head out of a breaker's yard. Those petrol XU's don't seem to be anywhere near as bullet-proof as the diesel variety.

Hmmm... I might just do that. To be honest, if I do any further conversions, I'll probably do the work myself but it'd probably be worth asking around. I think I'd seriously need to upgrade a few things for Mi16 power. The 305 seems to handle a 405 1.9 inj unit without a problem (although I can get it to illustrate the effects of torque steer without too much difficulty), but the strain of an Mi16 is probably a bit too far. Still, it's the next step up for my poor, mistreated, 305. ;)

Cheers,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

Hi Chris,

I'd bet the rear brake shoes are worn (unstuck).

Well, I've never seen a brake adjuster working :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Ooh, ooh, mine did! Honest, for about a week, it really worked! (Handbrake, footbrake, click....) After that, it's out with the screwdriver, poking through the wheel-nut holes :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

some people just dont want to let go.........take it to a cliff, kiss it on the bonnet, and slowly release the handbrake, walk away, and don't look back....not even a small glance over you shoulder. (by the way, make sure no-one is sunbathing on the beach below)

and just for added measure, i have a stunning 306 xl for sale....

Reply to
steve

I'll check at the weekend... but they were new maybe three years ago? For now, I'm having to drive my Dad's Citroen BX! (argh!)

I'm sure we've had this discussion before. I maintain that my brake adjusters work fine. If it turns out that the adjusters have caused this problem then I might have to change my mind, but the system on the 305 seems to work very well and I've never needed to manually adjust the rear brakes.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

*sigh*.... Really - I think I'd have to look back if I'd just pushed a car off a cliff - I mean could you really say that you didn't look when you'd just pushed a car to it's doom in a vertical drop? If you must know, I've told everyone that my car is invincible so I can't let them down ;)

Argh!! Don't say things like that!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

I would forget that, it would cost an absolute fortune to get the suspension and brakes up to the standard that could cope with 160bhp, and I bet it would drive horribly.

Reply to
miknik

Well, I'm not so sure myself. The 305 GTX (which I have) has the same size vented discs as fitted to many 309s, 205s, 405s, etc. The whole drivetrain is basically the same, as most late-80's/early 90's XU-engined pugs would have been derived from the XU version of the 305 - many parts are shared and I often have to buy drivetrain parts listed as for the 405/205 which fit straight onto my 305. The fact that I was able to fit a 405 cylinder head directly onto my 305 engine seems to indicate this point quite well (ok, sure it's dying now but I got the head out of a scrapyard from a car with over 100,000 miles and did hardly any refurb work on it other than a dismantling and cleanup). I also know for a fact that 405 SRi front discs & calipers will fit onto the 305 without a problem, as will bilstein shocks for a 309 GTi. That EFI head I shoved on should have given me roughly 20-25 bhp gain, I doubt it was that much in practice, but it was certainly very noticable and the car coped with it very well. I have a great deal of confidence in the

305's handling with it's 185/14s - it's never failed to impress me. I would definately want to uprate certain things for the extra power but hardly anything would have to be custom made or modified to fit. My primary concern would be whether the chassis could handle the increase in power, or if it would have to be strengthened in some way - but then we can look at the fact that there was a 16v Citroen BX doing the rounds when the 305 was in production. Surely it's gotta be at least as good as that?!?!?!??! I guess the real fun here though is in the challenge. I like a challenge and I like doing stuff that maybe hasn't been tried before. I know of someone that fitted a 305 van with a modified 1.9 turbo diesel engine from a 405 but I don't know of an 305 Mi16 in existence. Maybe it wouldn't work and maybe I won't go down this route just yet as it's an expensive project whatever way you look at it. But it'd be damn cool to find out.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

Bah, I want none of your soulless machinery. I want a car to have character. I like the fact that I have to thump the dashboard to get the fan to work, and who needs the radio on at the same time as the headlights? As for the leaky sunroof, I prefer to think of it as my own personal in-car shower, years ahead of it's time.

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

headlights?

soulless ???? we are talking about french engineering here.......soulless along with bland, undesirable, annoying, frustrating, inconcievable, sanity destroying, and just plain boring is all part of the package.

you know you want it.......................

Reply to
steve

headlights?

Ahh yes. One particular favourite of my car is that sometimes the sidelights dashboard indicator doesn't come on unless you hit the console. It's those little things that make all the difference (aahh)... Actually, your description reminded me of my brother's old Fiat Uno he used to own. The radio would switch off it you flashed the main beam and the only way to get it to come back on was to turn the interior fan off and back on again. That was crazy.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

Hello,

Yes, soulless, possibly if you consider Pugs starting up at first try every morning God makes :-)

Er, would you buy a Rover 45 ?

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hello,

Damned, it means it worked at least two times :-)

BTW, could you recall the exact procedure, perhaps I'm not performing that properly.

That's the way it usually works :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hello Chris,

Perhaps you'll find another head quite easily (you also could try a 205GTi head). XUs are bullet-proof :-)

Wow, a 8v head & injection on a 305 should be a weird thing, it must rock, but a Mi16 engine should be quite dangerous... But you can try this; considering that in UK you could well run a R4 (commonly called "4L", here) with a Porsche engine (which would be the most dangerous car ever). Oh, a friend of mine's running a 205 GTi 1.6 (105HP version) with a 405 SRi lump, 1.6 flywheel (which is lighter), 1.6 head (gives a high compression, fitted 'cause it was easier to fit rather than adapting the 1.9 injection system), and 1.6 gearbox. It definitively rocks, skidding on 3rd gear if hardly driven, max speed 190KPH - but you reach it as fast as a bullet ! He also has 15" alloys, which I think helps traction (but not enough :-) ).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Yup. Actually, it worked for long enough to take up the space left when re-fitting the drum, which is as much as I could expect, really.

If I remember correctly, I think you apply the handbrake, then the footbrake, then the handbrake, then the footbrake, etc... until the height to which you pull the handbrake lever stops dropping (or when your assistant, peering through the wheel-nut hole, can't see or hear the adjuster moving anymore.)

I need to replace my rear shoes sometime in the next few weeks, so I'll figure it out again, and post the procedure then.

:-)

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

I think I should be able to get another one. It's probably the best thing to do - and this time I'll refurbish it properly before putting it on the car! However, first I think I need to get those brakes sorted out.

Yeah it does!! It has a lot of power but the old 305 seems to handle it quite well. Definately a lot of fun.

Yeah, an Mi16 on a 305 would be pushing the boundaries a bit.. but hey, that's part of the fun! Did you know that while Peugeot were developing the

205 T16 for rallying, they also developed a prototype 305 rally car with the V6 out of a 604 and rear-wheel-drive. Some guy called Jean Todt preferred the 205 though... really can't understand why.. it's not like it did anything special ;)

I can (sorry, *used to*) get a similar speed out of my 305 with it's original BE1 gearbox - I think more wouldn't be too difficult with maybe a 6 speed box or something because it would hit the redline in 5th fairly soon and that would be it - no more power.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

Calipers and shocks aren't cheap though, and if you change shocks you really want to change springs too. It's likely to cost you a lot more to uprate these items than your engine will cost you.

That's the spirit, these things are never cheap (usually spiralling upwards in cost from first estimate until job done!) But it's all about the grin factor, and it would be pretty funny leaving Golf GTIs etc in the dust in your 305. MI16s are cheap as chips nowadays though, so unless you are hell bent on having an MI16 305 you would probably do better to just buy a 405 MI16 and run round in that.

Reply to
miknik

Agreed - it won't be cheap and yes just buying an Mi16 would be a cheaper option... I guess I just like to do things the difficult way. It would be a lot of fun though >:) Anyway, it's all just an idea at the moment. If I ever get the project off the ground I'm sure I'll post about it.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard