Tom Tom Sat Nav

I hope someone can help. I have a Tom Tom Go with a series 5 card. It worked perfectly with my last car, Toyota Camry, but for some reason it keeps losing the Sat signal in my Peugeot 406 HDI Estate. As the Peugeot is full of electronic gizmo's, could this be the reason, I have moved it all round the windscreen, without much success. Strange as it may seem, in frustration I put it in the door pocket and it started talking to me. The built in sat nav system is Nav Tec but it is not a lot of good, having just bought a new disc ( £98.00 ) I thought it would improve the system, but it has not. I thought about buying an Arial for the Tom Tom, but I can't find anywhere to fit one. Any help would be really appreciated.

Bryan ( Winchester UK )

Reply to
Zoab

Hi

My First thoughts would be the windscreen itself, some anti glare filters and some electronic heated screens can cause problems with this unit and other similar devices.

This would also explain why when you put it closer to the side of your car it started working. The elements in the windscreen would be blocking the signal but as there is no such thing in the door glass this doesn't cause a problem. An ariel may be the onkly way to go. I dont know of a suitable place for ti to go though you'd have to look into this.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Beech

my tomtom go 300 works perfectly in the centre of the screen on my 206 - then again i don't have a headed screen which is what causes this issue i believe. External antenna is the solution although where i'm not sure.

Reply to
Tom

Thank you Rob and Tom for your replies. I think it maybe a case of back to the drawing board.

Bryan

Reply to
Zoab

Infact, the windscreens of a 406 are metalurgic coated, it works like a Faraday cage preventing signal to go either in or out.

I don't know the wavelengt of a GPS signal, but it might just be to weak and long for the gap that is behind the mirror to get through. It would ( among it the max 2 watts emision from a cellular) explian why your cell phone does work inside a 406, though even that does not work all to well without an external antenna

If there is a GPS antenna to be placed the obvious place would be to fit it in the compartment behind the mirror, though there already may be one from the nav tech, as well as the rain sensor is located in it.

tomtom

places it near the rear windscreen, but that just wont work on a 406 as all the windscreens are coated

Reply to
Marc Amsterdam

If you can fit an external, or remote aerial to the Tom Tom, then place it inside, on the area of the screed which is covered in black dots by the rearview mirror. Otherwise, you will have to site the unit as close as you can to a side window. If you look at the screen from the outside, you will see that it has a definite purple reflective tint. This is the metal film. You can pick up aerials on ebay. Had to do the same on my 307 for my Garmin.

Reply to
Brian

TomTom external aerials are magnetic so can be placed outside and will stay on perfect reception

Reply to
Julian Croucher

I drive a (03) 406Hdi estate similar to yours with Onboard Navtec Sat Navigation.

Your Tom Tom signal reception is poor due to the antiglare coating on the front windscreen.

The onboard Sat Nav system has an external aerial (Radio / GPS) located on the roof,

fitted as standard.

Disconnect the GPS antenna cable at the CD Rom, then run to your Tom Tom unit.

Reply to
Oriondirect

A friend of mine used a bluetooth receiver. He connected the oringinal Pug aerial to it and used the power supply from the original Navtech unit. The receiver is mounted on top of the Navtech using double sided tape and talks to a dash mount PDA via the bluetooth. works fine.

If you want to sell your CD please let me know as I am still persevering with the original Navtech as I only use it for trips to London & Birmingham where it seems to work half reasonably providing it boots up correctly. But it will never be as good as the Tom Tom as the Navtech technology is at least 4 years old. I hope this helps.

Dave G davegreaves (at) bt>I hope someone can help. I have a Tom Tom Go with a series 5

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

Have you tried placing it on sunroof or side window? Not ideal but may be the answer?

Reply to
Madrigo Padrigo