TU series rocker cover

The rocker cover rubber seal doesn't seem to sit right, even though it is in A1 condition. Its as if the rocker cover hasn't seated properly as before you tighten the bolts it can be rocked backwards and forwards slightly. I've checked the baffle plate and the studs and they are all ok. The spacers are in place too.

Also, I've just changed the oil and cleaned the tops of the rocker arms, etc.... of old oil. There seem to be large recess' that are filled with old dirty oil. Does anyone know a trick to clear this out as I put a rag in there and it just soaked it through with oil, the puddles were quite deep.

Cheers James

Reply to
Ray Bentos

Are these spacers between the baffle plate and the rocker cover really needed? I've just tried it without the spacers on it and it fits much better. I've checked the studs and everything and there is nothing wrong with them.

Reply to
Ray Bentos

yes they are needed have you got the baffle plate the right way round though cos without the spacers it should rattle around

Reply to
mindwipe

Yeah, its so the grooves are facing upwards for the spacers to sit in. It does rattle without the spacers.

What purpose does the baffle plate really serve? Taking it out altogether isn't going to do any harm is it?

Reply to
Ray Bentos

it helps to deflect the sprayed oil back onto the rockers

Reply to
mindwipe

So what are your thoughts then? Not to take it out?

Reply to
Ray Bentos

i'm running an ax at the moment i did the tappets last week the metal plate is still there cos i think the engine needs it older versions of peugeot engines didnt have this shield and suffered camshaft/rocker wear so i wouldnt risk it

Reply to
mindwipe

Hi Jeff,

esp. early 80's series, XVs and XUs you mean ?

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

right, it looks as though whoever has had the car before has had the rocker cover off, and I'm guessing they have put it back on without the spacers and overtightened the bolts holding the rocker cover down. Where the bolt holes are on the rocker cover itself they have dug into the metal and bent it downwards. I tried straightening the metal, but its too hard. I've straightened it a bit, but not by much.

I've put the baffle plate on, secured it with some M13 bolts and large washers (the threads on the studs don't go down long enough, so I packed a few washers on top of each other) for the time being. I've done away with the spacers for the time being and just put the rocker cover back on. The baffle plate is held in place well, doesn't rattle at all. I'll have to get myself to the scrappers and get another rocker cover, but its OK for the time being.......

Suprised how much better the engine seems to run for changing the oil and cleaning all the internals under the rocker cover. I mean they were dirty, but not THAT bad. Next time I'll take the sump off too and clean all the crankshaft and the conrods etc.......

Reply to
Ray Bentos

good lad!!! do you want to come and do mine too? :-)

Reply to
mindwipe