Turbo, how long should i idle the car before switching off

sorry about that, just my lazyness

Dont know RTA i'll look it up next time i'm in France, unfotunately Autun were my mom lives has no real good bookshop

72% thats even more than here in Holland, just as we're famous for being anti american

Feu Vert is one in france right? and i saw léclerc has also a car wrecking service, this while the pug dealer does an oilchage cheaper than the fast fitters.....

the R4 was beautifull i think, just not a Pug :-)

where did you learn your english, the french i know just speak french and patois...

anyway best regards

Marc.

Reply to
Marc

The reason for the idle time is not purely to prevent bearing wear by oil-less spindown - by the time you have idled into your drive and put on the handbrake it'll be 90% spun-down anyway, its because the turbo gets rediculously hot (ive had mine semi-translucent glowing so red it was unbelievable at first). This excess heat is what is extracted from the exhaust to make the extra power and is unavoidable and perfectly normal. When glowing red the exhaust side of the turbo is in excess of 600C. Without the cooldown period the oil in the bearing bakes to the bearing causing premature wear. On lower boost cars the cooldown period is shorter due to lower temps but on a higher boost car (6psi or more) the cooldown is critical - i know to my misfortune.

Actually, off-boost driving is far better than idling to cool the turbo back to normal levels as the airflow through the bay is a big plus. Personally I know my turbo (@15psi) takes in excess of 4 mins to cool to the point where it stops glowing, and i usually leave it longer if I've given it beans. Or I do a 5 minute off-boost lap of my village.

Coyoteboy

that sounds very sensible, i live in the very center of amsterdam, it takes me about ten minutes (@ night that is) to get there from the moterway and then another five minutes to find a parking spot so i use to be on the safe side anyway.

Reply to
Marc

Hi Marc,

That's all right - just a bit painful to look for the answer :-)

Autun, a retired part of french countryside, in Burgundy... Should be as boring as being dead to live down here... Come on, I live in center Burugundy and that's just boring.

:-)

Right. Assuming you don't know France I did not give any name. There are many, and some of them should be familiar to UK-contributors :-) Feu Vert is one, Norauto, Leclerc too (even if it seems to me it's a bit more recent), Speedy (a member of Kwik Fit Group), Midas... I may forget some of them.

I don't know the price for it as I use to do my light servicing myself. My parents now let my local mechanic (a Renault agent, but a friend of mine, too :-) ) perform oil changes on their 206.

Beautiful isn't the right word I think. Reliable, quite powerful (the 1.1 (GTL) has a good acceleration, considering it's a 4-gears and only 35HP or so), thirsty (7L/100km is a common figure), and simple that's OK. Oh, this summer I carried some hundred kilos of gravels in my 205 (I protected the boot of course), and I just discovered it was a 4L with a huge engine :-)

At school. I haven't traveled to an english-spoken country since 1993 (which I guess has no influence, as I'm only 23). Oh, of course frenchies are known to speak only french... Not really an exception myself, as I wish I was speaking german as well as I do practicise (spelling ?) my english :-/

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi,

True. I've got a schematic showing a typical turbo heating. Oil is also used to cool down the turbo.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

where is you located in bourgogne

jesus we only have to put up with kwikfit and euromaster, i guess france is several merures bigger than rainy holland

my compliments, I havent heard you speak english but your writing is remarkable concidering your french has a roman base and therefore being more difficult to learn english then it would be for a dutchie

Reply to
Marc

Hi,

At about 35km from Auxerre.

True :-) Oh, I forgot Euromaster, and Eurotyre (formerly Arc-en-Ciel), a bit different, as they are real techies just having the Eurotyre name written on their workshop.OK, I use to buy and fit my tyres @ Eurotyre, but I'm always going in here for a couple of Michelin :-) At most other car centers like Feu Vert & other ones they are not really technicians, most of times just auto butchers (I hope you'll get the joke). I know a guy who is working @ a Feu Vert in northern Burgundy (at Sens, indeed), he was at school with me, and studied electronics engineering like me... OK, he did everything to miss his exams (slightly OT here), and so he went to work at F-V. Not really better for me, indeed, as I should be employed as an electronics engineer (due to the diplomas) for over 15 months now, and I'm stacking crates in a bread plant since then...

It should be awful, as I haven't spoken since 12 months :-) (of course, what would be the point of speaking english as everyone here is speaking french ? ).

Well, english grammar is far too easy, indeed. The technical vocabulary seems quite easy for me, too. Of course I'm used with it as the datasheets are written into english (there were some into french, mostly from Philips and RTC in the mid-'80s, but they've stopped it for ages), and if you ever tried to read a user's guide of foreign goods translated into french (I guess it's the same with dutch), you always come back to english 'cause it's just unreadable :-) For a comparision, I'd say german grammar & vocabulary is just harder than english... It appears to me it's even harder than french grammar, but I may be wrong here :-)

Cheers, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

I'l email you when i get to autun again, maybe we can have coffee

I find tyres are somewhat cheaper in france compared to holland. especially the french makes like michelin.

that's what you get from skipping class.... you will be punished eventually....

damn that hard. but if it beats working @ FV stick to that

i notice a lot of young people are moving out to the cities in france since there aren't that many proper jobs to find in the rural parts of france

maybe you should relocate to sochaux, from the stories i hear in this NG about electrical gremlins i think they should offer you a decent job there

I know a vacancy as a repair shop team leader here in amsterdam for a lighting rental company, it is stinky underpaid though ( my drinking buddy worked there and left because the low wage and the expensive city amsterdam is) i'm quite sure autun or thereabout has a A/V rental company

maybe car tuning would be an angle for you

being half german ( oops the word is on the street...) if think the french grammar has less consistencies then german and far far far les then dutch ( which is almost impossible to learn properly when not dutch) at least we learn our english from television which is about 50% in english here Manuals translated to dutch are much fun to read, except when i wrote them, then they are hilarious

now lest get back to pugs here, where getting OT :-)

greetings

Marc

The Electronic Monk was a labor-saving device, like a dishwasher or a video recorder. [...] Video recorders watched tedious television for you, thus saving you the bother of looking at it yourself; Electronic Monks believed things for you, [...] -- Douglas Adams in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Reply to
Marc

HI,

Of course, I don't know :-)

Michelin is the brand I always buy, and I guess I'll be doing it as long as I have money for. I've been trying some other brand tyres on cars I know (esp. my mum's 405, Pirelli, Dunlop, now "no name"), and my feeling is you've got what you paid for.

Fitting tyres, stacking crates... Not many difference to me. Oh, as I worked hard to get the diplomas, I can still apply to jobs (what I use to do perhaps 30 times a month).

Without expanding on my love story with the Firm, I've just sent my 10th request for them.

That's what I tend to think everytime I try to understand dutch posts here :-)

Oh oh, what I've heard about that are no tales, then... Here, everything is translated to french, no subtitles or original version at all (excepted on DVDs, where you have the choice, or on cable TV of course).

Fun, when you know there's a better version available (english in general does the trick), boring if not :-)

:-)

Sure :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T