tyre pressure sensors

Hi Everyone

I've got a 407 with pressure sensors on the tyres. I had a tyre replaced recently at a tyre dealer , and now the dashboard display comes up after a few minutes running saying 'the tyre pressure(s) are not monitored. '

Talking to a parts dept they tell me the new sensor is £56 + vat to buy and I presume there will be a fitting charge. So I'm looking at a £100 bill I expect.

Anyone else had experience of this? Any advice?

Reply to
%%stu%%

Simple question, is the sensor plugged in? Presumably there is a wire running to the axle and then some sort of capacative or inductive coupling to the sensor in the wheel [1]. So did thetyre fitter inadvertantly disconnect the wire. It would only take a few minutes to pop the wheel off and check.

[1] The only tyre sensor I have any knowledge of is on the Airbus A330 and that was in 1989

-- Malc

Reply to
malc

In article , %%stu%% writes

The sensor was ripped off by an incompetent tyre fitter when they changed the tyre.

You have four choices:

1/ Ignore the warning. 2/ Have the dealer reprogram the car so the warning isn't given. 3/ Get the tyre fitters company to pay for a new sensor to be fitted. 4/ Pay for it yourself.

As I bought my Citroen (same system as Peugeot I believe) second hand with tyre sensors ripped off by an incompetent tyre fitter I opted for

2.
Reply to
Mick Whittingham

Simple question, is the sensor plugged in? Presumably there is a wire running to the axle and then some sort of capacative or inductive coupling to the sensor in the wheel [1]. So did thetyre fitter inadvertantly disconnect the wire. It would only take a few minutes to pop the wheel off and check.

It's a little plastic black box about the size of a swan vestas match box inside the tyre connected to the valve.

Presume it's a little wireless transmitter.

When the tyre was fitted the company did warn that it was possible the sensor would be damaged so I can't argue with them. As they had`fitted 2 tyres ok a month before I thought they would do the same..

Reply to
%%stu%%

Just spoken to a Peugeot dealer

Diagnostic fee then parts purchase and fitting and reprogramming fee. About £180 - £200 they reckon. More than the tyre cost!

Methinks I'll ignore the messages for a while.

Reply to
%%stu%%

Bob

Reply to
curious

Intriguing, I'll give it a whirl.

I wouldn't put it past a dealer to charge £80 to diagnose you need a reboot and then £50 to reprogram by disconnecting and rebooting it!

Reply to
%%stu%%

Ok, that's interesting. I wonder where it gets its power from?

Reply to
malc