Water pump recommendation?

Can anyone recommend a garage or mechanic in the London area who might change my leaking 405 water pump cheaply? (Peugot want £500, doubtless plus VAT!)

Equally - how difficult is it really? I have the tools and a dim Haynes and I've had engines apart but that was a long time ago in the dark ages of pushrods and I've never worked on an engine with a cam belt. If I dot mark the cam belt and every point on every driveshaft, could I just safely reassemble?

Thanks. Cheers.

Reply to
Wichita

You don't mention which engine, but from the sound of it you are competent enough to do it. There are marks on the crankshaft, as well as on camshaft(s). If in doubt, add your own marks. Do replace the cambelt with the tensioner and roller while you are at it! The general rule with tensioning the cambelts on older engines is to be able to turn it sideways at the longest stretch, using moderate pressure. Best wishes

Ivar Petur

Reply to
Ívar Pétur Guðnason