what does this hose do? - 306 XSi

Hi all I had a look in the postings in this ng recently as my 306 xsi has been behaving a little oddly - a while ago I had the idle stepper motor replace and I was having similar symptoms to that time.

I started looking for air leak problems and soon discovered a 'nick' in a hose. When I started to take the hose off to better examine it it fell apart in my hands! I like the sort of fault diagnosis that works like this ...

I've replaced the hose and my engine is now idling better, without hunting, and behaves better when I take my foot off the accelerator. Thing is, I would like to know what this hose actually does, & what it's called.

It's a hose around 30cm long which connects from just near where you top up the oil, to near the throttle, where the stepper motor is found. The stepper motor end is narrower than the other end, and there's no reference to it in my Haynes manual FWIW. Can anyone advise?

Thanks a lot Jon N

Reply to
Jon Nicoll

sounds like you have a vacuum hose there, which will indeed cause poor running if its leaking, any of the many vacuum hoses coming from your manifold will do the same. not every part under your bonnet (hood) has a specific name, many of the hoses whether vacuum or coolant hoses are just "hoses" with maybe a name to descibe where they are located on your engine, we buy rolls of vacuum hose and just cut off whatever length we need to repair an individual job. steve uk.

Reply to
someone