What MPG out of your 405 TD?

I think mine is 45mpg driving gently some town some motorway use. Was hoping it would match the 205 D which strangely always fot 50 wherever you drove and at whatever speed (strange).

Please indicate how you drive (aggressive/gently) and where (towns/motorway).

The Autocar info guige listed this car as having 39.5 mpg but also listed the mondeoo Diesel as 40, I'm sure they both are not as low as that.

Cheers Ian

Reply to
405 TD Estate

The non turbo version returns about 30mpg in town and probably about 45mpg motorway. Take the official figures and deduct 20%. I know that many owners claim over 50mpg - not from my experience with the 1.9D both in the 306 and

405. Guess I'll take a bit of flak over that statement (BTW not aggressive driving, but it does depend on your speed. Keep it under 70mph and economy will improve)

cheers John

Reply to
john

I got 47mpg on a run from London to Stirling, in my 405 TD estate, four people and luggage, keeping to a steady 75 ish. On short very journeys it was rather worse, nearer 40mpg. The general figure was around 45. I used to do a 20 mile (each way) commute into west London.

Reply to
Brian

Over 10k miles, my hunter TD estate averaged ~42mpg. Long motorway trips at an indicated 80mph would give you about 45mpg, round town* was about 40mpg.

*Durham, not london, so not really very stop start...

My 205TD consistently gives me 53mpg, even though I thrash the nuts off it everywhere. I love that car :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Thats what turbos deisels are made for is too be thrashed,

Reply to
Chris

Heh. Good job too. It's not exactly quick, given that it's only got

80BHp, but it gives me a giggle every time I chuck it up and down the road, and it costs 3/5 of f*ck all to insure and run, so I count that as a bargain :-)
Reply to
Albert T Cone

My old normaly aspirated 405 always averaged 50Mpg regardless of town or country, speed or conditions. A bit like the OPs 205. In fact I still miss that car! They were more comfortable and better visibility than a 406. I noticed a marked drop when I moved to my first turbo1900 in a 406 (around

42Mpg) Now it's back up to a 49ish average again with a Hdi 90 406. (Ok that's beliveing the onboard computer, I can't be bothered tank checking these dayz)

Just my personnal experience, I wouldn't say flak, there are a mass of factors affecting fuel consumption on any model.

jim.

Reply to
djimbo

MY 405 IS DOING 48-50 MPG DEPENDING ON HOW I DRIVE IT ,ON A RUN TO THE COAST IT RUNS VERY WELL, DOWN TO LITTLEHAMPTON AND BACK TO J11 M25 ON £6 NOT BAD FOR A OLD CAR,

Reply to
Chris

I agree totally about the 405 being better in many ways than the 406, especially the 405's bigger boot. Re consumption, I used to have to record my fuels use on a spreadsheet because it was a company car and still do it from habit. My normally aspirated 1.9 diesel 405 used to average 42mpg and the 406 HDI 110 does 46mpg.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks