What MPG should 206HDi Style 1.4 get?

I have a 2002 1.4 206HDi Style 3 door. The letter "i" fn the "HDi" badge is green, so I've been told this is the ECO engine, is that right?

The published MPG figures for this car is 65MPG on a combined cycle, but I have only been able to get 50MPG at best, and that was from 2 long motorway drives (75m/hr, driving very conservatively, using the entire tank). My two measurements were this:

Fill tank to the brim (so that I can see the diesel at the top), reset trip meter, then drive till almost empty. Then note the milage from trip meter, and refill tank to same level. Doing this on two seeperate occaisions gave me 46MPG and 48MPG.

I've asked Peugeot about this and they seem to think that even 40MPG is acceptable for this car. I don't think that's right because I used to get

45MPG regularly from my 1994 Escort 1.8TD!

If anyone has the same car, can you post what MPG you get? I'm curious to know if there is a problem with my car, or if its getting the same sort of figures as others.

I'm in England, and the temperature is about 3 degrees celcius. I've been told that diesels sue a lot more fuel in cold weather - is this right? And if so, does anyone have some idea how much the temperature affects fuel consumption.

Reply to
SteveDom

The antiwaxing stuff they put in diesel fuel in winter doesn't help with economy. My hdi Xantia does at least 48mpg in summer and drops to 43 in winter. Doesn't sound a lot but it's ten percent. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

The trouble I would guess is speed, I have two diesels, the Touran 2.0 TDI give approx 70mpg if you tootle along at 56mph in 6th gear, the quoted mpg figures for the 1.4HDI are :-

51.4/78.5/65.7 Urban/Extra-urban/Combined

Extra-Urban is based on you doing 56mph along the straight with no wind.

I suspect at 75mph you are working the little diesel too much, try doing the same journey at 56mph and this figure should improve a lot.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Hi,

Also a green I for the 2.0 90HP "120g", possibly to indicate that this engine is able of I'm in England, and the temperature is about 3 degrees celcius. I've been

True, but is true for any engine, as they need more time to reach their normal temperature (no need to explain that) and so need more running time with the "cold" setup - i.e, fast idle.

Expect at least 25%. These days I've been using my car mainly for

6-miles-trips (Home > Work, waits 10 hours then work > home) these days, so not running warm, and it needs about 6l/100km when, on 70 miles trips I was running when I was a student it only needed about 4.75-5l/100km (max) (personnal record @4.15) whatever it was in summer or winter - you'll see that, with long trips the cold start / choke on / fast idle (depending on engine) has almost no effect.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

75mph is not "conservative" for a teeny Derv lump. Do the same journey at 60mph, and you'll find your mpg shoots way up !
Reply to
Nom

Andy,

I think you are right: after doing another journey at 55mph - 60mph, I got around 65MPG.

Many thanks for the advice!

Reply to
SteveDom