Where do i stand on this???

Last year i had my car MOT`d. Of the problems i had was the balljoint in the left front needed replacing as the steering had gone a bit naff. This year the steering problem had returned and on the MOT (done last week) it came up as the wishbone bushes had worn to excess (the garage said this was what was causing the problems). amongst other minor problems (front pads, back brake light out, 2 front tyres which were because of the steering problem) this was the main cause of the steering again. I have had the car back for a week and the car has developed the problem again. Today i took the car back explaining that the problem had arisen again after only a week. The mechanic had a look at the wheel in question and said "thats yer problem there, youre hubs gone!". Not only did i think this should have been picked up if he was fixing it and should have noticed this. Not content with that i asked my friend who is a mechanic what he thought. After we jacked the car up he said that without a shadow of a doubt that it was the balljoint. So we took the car across the road from where he works as there is a garage and asked them to look at it to confirm what the problem was (whether it was th hub or the balljoint). After about an hour or so the mechanic from the garage came into my friends place of work to find me. He asked me who had put the balljoint that was on the car on it. I told him the garage that did the MOT repairs that had done it and he replied "well its the wrong size, whoevers has done it has put the wrong one on! and not only is it causing youre problem it is also very unsafe!!".

My question now is where do i stand on this as im letting the garage who have now found the accurate problem fix it tomorrow. Can i go into the other garage and give him the bill for work that i have had to have had done to rectify his incorrect work. If so could i claim anything for the wishbones as it seems that these wore out because of the original problem.

I would like to hear any thoughts on this and where i stand legally because not only has this cost me a great deal of money £330 quid to get the wishbones done. £80 for the alleged balljoint repair last year (which was the incorrect one fitted) and tomorrow it is going to cost more, but the gargae has said that i was endangering my health and others by driving with this incorrect ball joint as it could have broke and god knows what would have happened there.

Many thanks

Damo

Reply to
Damo

Try talking to your local Trading Standards office.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks