whirring/ticking noise in footwell, 1998 406 estate

Have read postings on this in the past, but can't remember the answers, or find them.

My 406 started making a whirring and ticking noise (constantly) from the passenger footwell yesterday. The ticking (almost like a plastic cog jumping) seems louder today. Sounds like some kind of motor in the ventilation/aircon system? It does not seem to be affected in any way by any of the ventilation controls/buttons.

What is it, and how do you fix it? thanks, John

Reply to
John R

Suspect either the air mixing flap motor or the re-circulate flap motor. The fault can be a stuck flap, a faulty feedback sensor on the servo or I have had a fault in the servo control amplifier on the air mixing flap control. The first should be fixable by removing the offending motor and gearbox from the heater body and manually freeing the flap. On my 405, the mixer flap motor is on the RHS footwell as you sit in the car and the re-ciruclate motor is in the LHS footwell. The feedback sensor is in the gearbox and not a replaceable part. Replace motor and gearbox. Diagnosing a fault in the control amplifier needs expert electronic knowledge and a module replacement is likely to be expensive. Hopefully this is the least likely cause.

regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

99% of the time it is a faulty recirc motor, and will require replacing. A bit of a fiddly job (a couple of small screws hold it in), and a dealer will probably charge an hour or so to do. It's up behind the glovebox, and it's not absolutely necessary to remove the glovebox to do it, but it does make life easier if it is out of the way.
Reply to
Nigel

Not sure I'm prepared to pay to get it fixed. Reckon I can live without it. Which wire do I cut to shut the thing up?

Reply to
John Ricketts

First make SURE that it is the recirc motor which is noisy. Then make sure the flap to the outside is open. You can check this by lifting the pollen filter. Then just disconnect the plug to the motor.

Reply to
Nigel