Wierd engine behaviour 1999 306 XSI 16v 1998cc.......

Expert opinions urgently required.....

My 1999 (T-reg) 1998cc 16v Peugeot 306 XSI has a wierd engine characteristic that I?m a bit baffled by. It only seems to happen when the car has been running for half an hour or longer, and seems to come and go a lot. I suspect it?s to do with the fuelling. When it?s misbehaving, the engine is very hesitant, it takes a few seconds to respond to the throttle, even when out of gear, and the engine seems to have difficulty in responding to changes in engine speed, e.g. when changing down to a lower gear and pressing the accelerator I get a hesitation that can last a couple of seconds before the engine pulls forward in a rather lumpy manner. This never happens within the first

20 minutes of any journey, and the car might behave normally if it gets to remain at the same engine speed e.g. when cruising along the motorway for an hour. On Tuesday it was fine on a long motorway journey until I hit stop-start traffic and it started misbehaving, it got got so bad that the engine started stalling when left to idle. Whenever I started the engine following a stall it would start on the button and behave normally for a few seconds (presumably until the automatic choke turned itself off) and then would go back to misbehaving. Then on one particular occasion when the engine cut out when I was changing between gears at about 25mph I just dropped the clutch into 2nd gear and bump started the engine, it spluttered and lurched into life and the problem instantly disappeared for the rest of the journey (but this problem still occurs at the moment just as it did before).

Any ideas what this could be? I?m baffled because it only seems to happen when the engine is hot, and i?m confused at how bump-starting the engine temporarily cleared it on Tuesday - I?ve thought it could be a clogged/collapsed cat, or a ropey lambda sensor - Any other ideas what it might be? The car has done 100k miles by the way, it makes a bit of a tappy/ticky noise at 2k+ RPM but i?m told this is common on

306s and is probably just noisy fuel injectors........
Reply to
Androo

"Androo" wrote: > Expert opinions urgently required..... > > My 1999 (T-reg) 1998cc 16v Peugeot 306 XSI has a wierd engine > characteristic that I'm a bit baffled by. It only seems to > happen when the car has been running for half an hour or > longer, and seems to come and go a lot. I suspect it's to do > with the fuelling. When it's misbehaving, the engine is very > hesitant, it takes a few seconds to respond to the throttle, > even when out of gear, and the engine seems to have difficulty > in responding to changes in engine speed, e.g. when changing > down to a lower gear and pressing the accelerator I get a > hesitation that can last a couple of seconds before the engine > pulls forward in a rather lumpy manner. This never happens > within the first 20 minutes of any journey, and the car might > behave normally if it gets to remain at the same engine speed > e.g. when cruising along the motorway for an hour. On Tuesday > it was fine on a long motorway journey until I hit stop-start > traffic and it started misbehaving, it got got so bad that the > engine started stalling when left to idle. Whenever I started > the engine following a stall it would start on the button and > behave normally for a few seconds (presumably until the > automatic choke turned itself off) and then would go back to > misbehaving. Then on one particular occasion when the engine > cut out when I was changing between gears at about 25mph I > just dropped the clutch into 2nd gear and bump started the > engine, it spluttered and lurched into life and the problem > instantly disappeared for the rest of the journey (but this > problem still occurs at the moment just as it did before). > > Any ideas what this could be? I'm baffled because it only > seems to happen when the engine is hot, and i'm confused at > how bump-starting the engine temporarily cleared it on Tuesday > - I've thought it could be a clogged/collapsed cat, or a ropey > lambda sensor - Any other ideas what it might be? The car has > done 100k miles by the way, it makes a bit of a tappy/ticky > noise at 2k+ RPM but i'm told this is common on 306s and is > probably just noisy fuel injectors........

Anyone????

Reply to
Androo

i no this sounds simple but have you checked the spark plugs as ive had one with the same kind od fault and it had ngk single electrode plugs in it instead of multi point replaced them and it cured the fault got to be worth a try

Reply to
noall

Check *ALL* the pipes in the engine bay for leaks. My 2.0 8v 405 had a split vacuum pipe from Manifold to MAP Sensor, and it had very similar symptoms.

Reply to
Nom

"" wrote: > Androo wrote: > > Expert opinions urgently required..... > >

The pipes all look okay, not corroded or anything. I?m going to have a bash at changing the lambda this weekend if the weather?s good. Does anyone know where to find the MAP sensor in a ?99 306 xsi? Are they easy to change?

Reply to
Androo

There is a ton of people with the same problem on 1.8 and 2.0 16V motors on different cars (306,406..) Far as I know (and I am following all the forums because I am pissed of with this situatuion) nowbody knows what is the reason. There are different theories (stepper moror, ignition coil, low voltage, Sagem or Bosch ECU...) but some of the people with this problem already changed all this parts (!!) and they are still strugling with the same problem. I am planning to write a letter to the Peugeot headquarters with enclosed all the mails from formums and discuusion pages. If you are willing to write one (I am from Croatia and my English is not perfect) i will supply you with the copies of most of the topics about this theme.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Vanja