Will ignoring a worn driveshaft break something?

I?ve got a worn passenger side driveshaft on my 205 and don?t have the money to fix it at the moment (spent my car budget for the next few months). Will it trash the diff/gearbox if I ignore it for a while?

I can get it replaced if it really needs doing, but I need money for other things at the moment like buying ovens and sofas etc.

Reply to
Streltsky

Streltsky wrote in news:1_598660_ snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

Not entirely on topic, but this demonstrates the pitfalls of buying second- hand privately owned, instead of an ex-lease car. A private owner may ignore a niggling problem, because they can't afford to fix it (and put up with it).

Granted, an ex-lease car may not be subject to weekly TLC (wash and polish), but at least it will be mechanically sound, because the driver doesn't foot the bill for anything that goes wrong in the first 60K/3 years.

Reply to
southpawArcher

Rubbish.

The driver of the HP car is just as likely to ignore an issue like a worn driveshaft. Partly because they don't *know* they have a worn driveshaft (they'll ignore any noises unless they directly affect the drive, and even then they might still ignore it), and partly because they can't be bothered to visit their dealer and get it fixed. They know full well that they're giving the car back after three years, so they're not proactive about repairs, and they certainly don't want to spend their time waiting for the dealer to repair a car that they'll only own for a temporary period.

Reply to
Nom

I drove around in mine for months with a worn driveshaft in my first TD. In the second TD it just decided to explode one day when I pulled out of a junction quickly. Didnt do any damage to anything alse, but of course, half a driveshaft spinning about isnt an ideal situation!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

So you reckon you'll be able to find a 205 (or any cheap, say

Not to mention that if you dont own the car it doesnt matter if you thrash it when cold, bounce off the rev limiter every gear, dont check the oil etc etc. Whereas its not hard to find a private car that has been maintained to the highest standard (lease cars will be maintained as cheaply as possible), and looked after rather than just being used as a tool!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

"Carl Gibbs" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Thanks!

Reply to
southpawArcher

LOL !

Reply to
Nom

"Streltsky" wrote: > I've got a worn passenger side driveshaft on my 205 and don't > have the money to fix it at the moment (spent my car budget > for the next few months). Will it trash the diff/gearbox if I > ignore it for a while? > > I can get it replaced if it really needs doing, but I need > money for other things at the moment like buying ovens and > sofas etc.

no it wont harm your car if you take it easy and avoid harsh cornering.

Reply to
mememe